    Would any users of the Nikon Coolpix 8800 comment on their likes, dislikes
    of this camera? I have read the reviews, but would appreciate comments of
    actual experience. Thanks.

    Irby, Feb 24, 2005

  2. Irby

    BobSam Guest

    BobSam, Feb 24, 2005

  3. Irby

    cambium Guest

    I got mine last month.

    I don't know the camera yet - it takes quite a while to learn.

    I very much like the image quality. The 8mp sensor combined with the 10X
    zoom really gives a lot of picture to work with compared to any other
    digital I have had - it seems close to my experience with film.

    Combine the large sensor, 10X zoom AND the image stableization, and it gets
    pretty remarkable.

    However there is a lot of discussion about the low light limitations.
    Especially this affects the ability to focus, which is dependent on good
    contrast in the focussing area. I have to say on the focussing score that
    my old Olympus UZ2100 was a hell of a lot better... but maybe I can learn to
    use the 8800 better. F5.8 at full zoom.

    I have taken low light pictures with exposure times of several seconds on a
    tripod, and I am really impressed with the results. Lights do not flare,
    the noise seems more like film grain than pizelization, which I like a lot.

    To me the colours seem warm, just enough to look pleasant, but not too much.

    The camera is easy to hold, and light enough to carry easily.

    You have to be carefull with the lens zoomed out - some owners have reported
    jamming the lens with a simple knock while it is extended. Here again, the
    2100 seemed very robust, and I was never worried with it.

    I would have preferred four AA cells, but the rechargeable lithium, although
    expensive (I have two), lasts a long time, and recharges pretty quickly,
    maybe 2 hours. The battery is smalleer than 4 AAs and quicker and easier to
    change.

    I think the menu system is overly cumbersome, but here again, if you like
    the camera enough to learn it well, you will learn the menu system too. I
    haven't yet, but I'm sure I'll get it eventually. There are attempts to
    make it user friendly, like haveing two stored sets of settings, and a
    function button that can be devoted to one function for easy access to it.

    There is a 'quick' button for easy viewing of your shots. Also easy to zoom
    in on the shot up to 10X.

    I find the zoom toggle a little difficult even after using the camera quite
    a bit. Again, I prefer the Oly 2100 setup. Too bad the Oly is only 2 mp -
    it really is a terrific camera.

    Nikon is coming up with plug-ins for its Picture Project software, which
    originally was short on features, but the new plug-ins give remote control
    (from a computer) capability, and more editing features. It will be
    available mid-March.

    So, my conclusion is that the bare bones of the camera is excellent: great
    picture quality, and lots of in-camera cropping, (by way of zoom and high
    resolution), so you can really frame the picture you want and expect
    terrific results - and after all, this is what a camera is all about.
    However, it's a hard camera, so far, to totally love. There are quite a few
    irritants to do with, (especially), focussing, the macro/normal/infinity
    button which option never seems to be the one you want, the fairly rough and
    unresponsive zoom, the 'command wheel' which lacks anything approaching a
    positive feel (it seems to click a few times before any response, and all of
    a sudden you have more response than you wanted), the complex menu system,
    etc. etc.
    I WANT to like this camera, and I am convinced I will if I persevere, but it
    doesn't make it any too easy for me.

    Hope this helps, and good luck.

    cambium, Feb 24, 2005