Nikon Coolpix 995 Got Wet-Battery Problem

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Marty Winn, Sep 8, 2004.

  1. Marty Winn

    Marty Winn Guest

    I am a novice photographer. I was hoping for some suggestions/help.
    I left my camera (Nikon CoolPix 995) out on a bench in my yard
    overnight and the sprinklers ran (about 2 months ago). I did my best
    to dry it out with time and a hair dryer. All the condensation seems
    to be gone. It takes pictures fine now but the battery seems to have
    a problem. I have a rechargeable battery that I use. I charge it up
    fully then put it in the camera (in off position) it used to last for
    a couple of weeks without the need for a recharge. Now it discharges
    overnight. I originally thought it was the batteries fault but then I
    tried another test. Now I recharge the battery but only put it in the
    camera when I am taking pictures. Now it works fine and the charge
    lasts for over a week. The downside is that the camera no longer
    knows what time (time stamp on .jpg file) the pictures were taken
    (even if I reset the time each time I put the battery back in. Also
    this is a pain to have to put the battery in the camera and close the
    battery door each time I want to take a picture. What this test
    taught me was that the battery itself is not the problem but rather
    something in the camera is discharging the battery. Maybe the
    moisture caused some corrosion or something. Does anyone have any
    (inexpensive) suggestions on what the problem could be or what I can
    try? I looked at some other websites and saw something about a second
    permanent battery that keeps track of the picture number (which has
    not been messed up for me (the sequence)) and the time (which has been
    messed up). Could that be bad? Should I unseat that battery and
    replace (although I would prefer not to lose my sequence number and I
    don't see how that could be discharging the rechargeable battery.

    Seeking the Light,
    Marty Winn

    Marty Winn, Sep 8, 2004

  2. Marty Winn

    Brendon Guest

    I have almost the indentical symptoms with a Sony DSC-P1 which also got wet.

    Brendon, Sep 9, 2004

  3. Marty Winn

    Paul Bartram Guest

    second permanent battery that keeps track of the picture number (which has
    not been messed up for me (the sequence)) and the time (which has been
    messed up). Could that be bad? Should I unseat that battery and replace
    (although I would prefer not to lose my sequence number and I don't see how
    that could be discharging the rechargeable battery.

    I don't think the back-up battery on the 995 *can* be replaced by the owner,
    it is internal and only accessible by a service person (not sure why).

    Your problem certainly sounds intriguing - I look forward to hearing any
    solution you get.

    Paul

    Paul Bartram, Sep 9, 2004
  4. Marty Winn