Nikon Coolpix 885 seems slow: Memory Type or Batteries?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by BHawk, Apr 15, 2007.

  1. BHawk

    BHawk Guest

    I have a Nikon Coolpix 885. It seems to me that the camera has slowed
    down over the years.

    1. When I press the button to take a picture there seems to be a
    delay before the camera actually takes the picture.

    2. The flash re-cycle time also seems to take longer.

    I wondering if my batteries are old and slow or whether could just buy
    a faster CF memory chip.

    I was reading my owners manual and it says my camera is compatible
    with CompactFlashâ„¢ (CF) Card Type I. It really doesn't mention
    speed. 4X, 8X, 16X etc. Does anyone know how fast a chip I can put
    in this camera?

    Regards,
    Bob

    BHawk, Apr 15, 2007

  2. Neither shutter lag nor the flash has anything to do with the speed of the
    memory card.

    But at least recharging the flash does depend on the condition of the
    batterie. However, those rechargable batteries usually announce their
    impending death by not holding the charge, e.g. you have to recharge more
    and more often. I am not aware that the voltage or the amperage would drop
    noticibly as they become older.

    Are you sure it is not just your perception that the camera has slowed down?
    As fast as you like. But the camera won't write the photos any faster than
    the maximal camera write speed.

    Jürgen Exner, Apr 15, 2007

  3. BHawk

    BHawk Guest

    BHawk wrote: Yea, I read about that... the 4X, 8X, 16X seems to only
    have to do with the transfer rate from the chip to the PC.... transfer
    speed.
    BHawk wrote: the batteries seem to be OK
    BHawk wrote: most likely it's me
    BHawk wrote: ditto to above I think... Yea, I read about that... the

    BHawk, Apr 15, 2007
  4. BHawk

    Jerry Guest

    Also the transfer from the card to the camera. In either case the speed
    will be as fast as the slowest component. It will not affect the
    shutter lag, the transfer occurs after the photo is taken.

    Jerry, Apr 15, 2007
  5. BHawk

    ASAAR Guest

    No, it can effect both transfer rates if the card speed is low
    enough. Those 4x, 8x and 16x speeds are quite slow, but the CP885
    is *very* slow writing to cards. Those are speeds you used to see
    in cards about 6 years ago. Now most cards are probably close to
    40x, with some I've seen as fast as 150x. My first camera memory
    card was a "high speed" 48MB 4x CF card and sold for about $80.
    These days you can get a card 20 times larger and much faster for
    about $10. According to DPReview the CP885 took almost a minute to
    write just a bit less than 10MB of images to its card. Unless I've
    made a calculation mistake that would require about a 12x card to
    allow the camera to write without slowing down. So your CP880 might
    be held back if you're using a 4x or 8x card.

    How many memory cards do you own? If they're a mix of speeds, you
    may be noticing a slowdown over the years if you started with a
    small 8x or 16x card and later bought a larger 4x card.
    Alternatively, if you originally had the CP885 take 1024x768 Basic
    jpg files and later started saving 2048x1536 Fine jpg files you
    might also have noticed a slowdown. To see how fast the camera can
    write images to flash cards you should try to buy or borrow a card
    that's at least 16x, which shouldn't be too difficult as cards that
    slow are hard to find these days. :)

    ASAAR, Apr 16, 2007