Nikon Coolpix 8700 down to $800 already

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by R2D2, Mar 3, 2004.

  1. R2D2

    R2D2 Guest

    R2D2, Mar 3, 2004

  2. R2D2

    Ken Burns Guest

    Is it Nikon USA or gray market? What accessories do you have to buy along
    with it to get the low price? How reliable is the company offering the
    ridiculously low price? A price reduction like that this early in the life
    cycle of a camera model is highly suspect!!!

    KB

    Ken Burns, Mar 3, 2004

  3. R2D2

    John Navas Guest

    Didn't you actually check? The dealer has a pretty good reputation, and
    states:

    Factory Sealed
    Full USA warranty
    All Accessories Included
    No Grey Market
    Brand New

    In <Dgq1c.31757$> on Wed, 03 Mar

    John Navas, Mar 3, 2004
  4. R2D2

    R2D2 Guest

    This is the OP. First of all, I did not mention a specific vendor. I posted
    a link to Pricegrabber which revealed at least 4 different vendors under
    $900. And yes I do have quite a posting history here. I change the munge
    frequently. Get your facts straight before you point fingers with your
    inuendos.

    R2D2, Mar 3, 2004
  5. R2D2

    R2D2 Guest

    One more thing, fix the clock on your computer.

    R2D2, Mar 3, 2004
  6. R2D2

    Ed Ruf Guest

    Did you actually any of the responses? Most have nothing to do with camera
    purchase and the majority of those that I saw talked about the hard pres
    warranty, accessory pitches other NY vendors are noted for.

    BTW, the OP was posting from a NY ISP and didn't have very many articles
    which I had in my records and I don't purge this group in Agent.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://members.cox.net/egruf
    See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
    http://members.cox.net/egruf-digicam

    Ed Ruf, Mar 4, 2004
  7. R2D2

    Ed Ruf Guest

    First, if I offended you, I'm sorry. I did mean to add a line saying at
    least those replies I've seen are on topic. However, unless I'm missing the
    boat, I don't see how this is a munged address. and as such had no
    reasonable way to determine your real posting history. If you care to
    enlighten me on/off-line, I'm willing to learn.

    On topic, having moved from a CP-990 package to a CP-5700 package, the
    release of the 8700 doesn't exactly have me jumping for joy. Frankly I find
    the 5700 package not as well thought out and lacking in several areas. By
    package I mean the camera and all offered accessories.

    Ed Ruf, Mar 4, 2004
  8. R2D2

    Ed Ruf Guest

    Thanks for pointing out that the re-install of W2k hosed the time zone
    setting.

    Ed Ruf, Mar 4, 2004
  9. R2D2

    Gary Quiring Guest

    I bought my 8700 for $839 in Brooklyn, NY. I got the camera in 4
    days. The camera was complete with all docs, strap, lens cover,
    battery, charger and cables. Shipping was $10.

    The site is www.inoax.com. They will not automatically ship you the
    camera until they 'talk' to you. It's the usual get some memory,
    warrenty and extras sell pitch. I just told them I already owned a
    5700 and did not need anything. It was a bit of a run around but I
    like the price.

    Gary Quiring

    Gary Quiring, Mar 6, 2004
  10. R2D2

    R2D2 Guest

    Cool. How do you like the camera? Compared to the 5700?

    R2D2, Mar 6, 2004
  11. R2D2

    Gary Quiring Guest

    I have only had a couple of hours to play and it's really lousy
    weather over here in NJ.

    From a buttons point of view it's the same layout as the 5700 - so no
    learning curve for me. From a software/firmware view it's 100%
    different. The internals are beefed up. They have a 'scenes' mode
    for different situations - sunset, backlit subject, fireworks,
    panaromic for a total 12 types. I have not explored that yet.

    The BIG improvement is laser assist focus in low light - FINALLY!! It
    works great. That was the only bad point on the 5700.

    With 8 MP's get ready for some large pics. I took one shot in fine
    mode and the pic size was a shade over 4meg. On average the sizes for
    fine are about 3meg.

    So far the pics I have takes are great. I see no issues. I will try
    some macro shots today but would really like to see this rain stop so
    I can go play!!!

    Gary

    Gary Quiring, Mar 6, 2004
  12. I've been playing with one for a couple of days too. I upgraded from
    a 995 so it's all new to me.

    The camera itself is a bit small in my hands. I'll probably need the
    extra battery back to give it a little more heft.

    The body itself is solid. The door over the cable plugs on the left
    side has a funny hinge and takes a little fiddling to close. I'm
    worried about the door for the memory card. It's a big piece of
    plastic on the right rear corner of the camera and looks vulnerable to
    getting broken.

    The controls are scattered all over the left side, top and back of the
    camera. That will take some getting used to, but there is some logic
    to it at least. The information in the viewfinder is clear and easy to
    see.

    The focus assist works nicely in low light but the camera still has
    the notorious 2-3 second delay taking indoor pictures. I'm used to
    the 995 with an optical viewfinder, so with the 8700's video finder
    it's different. When you push the shutter, the viewfinder goes blank,
    you try not to move and a couple of seconds later the pictures taken
    and is displayed in the viewfinder while it's being saved. Then you
    particularly fast. It takes several seconds until you are ready for
    another picture.

    I've taken some pictures using my SB-28 and an SC-17 flash cord and
    the exposures have been very good at all distances I've tried up to
    about 25 feet. The cord is a PITA as it interferes with the popup
    flash on the 8700. That has to open for the flash sensor to work.
    With the SC-17 it has a tendency to not open quite far enough and you
    get a nasty message in the viewfinder. I'm going to try an SB-800 and
    see how it works next week.

    According to the camera store I should use the SC-28 or 29 flash cord
    instead of the SC-17. There was a lot of talk about supporting i-ttl
    (which the 8700 doesn't use) and alternating voltages on the pins. I
    posted a question here but no one seems to know. So far, the SC-17
    seems to work just fine.

    The 8-meg pictures take some doing. You have to set up custom
    settings if you want to use either raw or TIFF. In the auto modes the
    best you can do is a 4-meg jpg that's 3264x2448 at roughly 4x
    compression. Most of the 8-meg .jpg files are pruning 2.1-2.4 meg on
    the card. I have not done much with the raw yet other than to make
    sure that I can download and read them on the computer.

    Thinking of that, it's a pity they chose to make the camera USB 1.1
    given the size of the images. It's a compelling reason to use a USB
    2.0 card reader if your computer supports it.

    The matrix and spot metering seem to work nicely and I'm very happy
    with the pictures I've gotten so far.

    Scott Peterson

    Scott Peterson, Mar 6, 2004