Nikon Coolpix 4200 sometimes creates multiple folders

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Top Spin, Dec 25, 2004.

  1. Top Spin

    Top Spin Guest

    I recently got a Nikon Coolpix 4200 digital camera, which I am still
    learning how to use.

    Usually, when I go to upload the photos, I see a \DCIM folder and
    under that, a \100NIKON folder containing the photos.

    Once in awhile, there will be more than one subfolder under the \DCIM
    folder. I think they are named \100NIKON, \101NIKON, etc., but I am
    not positive about that.

    Can anyone explain why that is happening?

    It makes merging the photos a bit of trouble.

    Thanks

    --
    Using a Nikon Coolpix 4200
    PC: HP Omnibook 6000
    Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
    (11/03/04)

    Top Spin, Dec 25, 2004

  2. Top Spin wrote:
    []
    Possibly, if you have more than 200 photos in a given folder (100), the
    camera creates a new folder (101) so that there are not too many files in
    a given folder. Having too many files in a given folder can slow down the
    writing speed of the camera. I see the same type of behaviour on my Nikon
    5700 and 8400. The sequence numbers are consecutive across the folders,
    so it shouldn't cause any problem.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Dec 25, 2004

  3. Top Spin

    Top Spin Guest

    I just ran a little test. After 200 photos, it did indeed create a
    (101) folder and the sequence numbers are consecutive.

    I was surprised by this. We went on a vacation a couple of months ago.
    I am 99% certain that one day, when we got back to the hotel and I was
    uploading the photos, I found 3-4 folders. All but one had only a few
    photos and the sequence numbers were NOT consecutive.

    I had been fooling around with the settings because we were visiting
    cathedals and museums where flash photograpy was not allowed. It
    seemed that a couple of the folders had only photos shot with certin
    settings. I just tried changing a bunch of settings and the camera
    never created a second folder until I exceeded 200 photos.

    Do you know of any situation in which the camera might create a second
    (or third) folder for any other reason?

    Thanks

    --
    Using a Nikon Coolpix 4200
    PC: HP Omnibook 6000
    Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
    (11/03/04)

    Top Spin, Dec 25, 2004
  4. Top Spin

    Top Spin Guest

    I found the answer. It has to do with using the Panorama assist mode.
    I probably engaged it accidentally while I was experimenting with
    settings.

    Every time Panorama assist is engaged or disengaged, the camera
    creates a new folder. The panorama photos are numbered sequentially
    from 0001. The non-panorama photos continue the sequential numbering
    but in a new folder. This is how folders can end up with just a few
    photos.

    Thanks

    --
    Using a Nikon Coolpix 4200
    PC: HP Omnibook 6000
    Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
    (11/03/04)

    Top Spin, Dec 25, 2004
  5. Top Spin wrote:
    []
    Oh well! Something I've never used. We live and learn.

    Happy Christmas,
    David

    David J Taylor, Dec 25, 2004
  6. Yes, if you tell it to. You probably did and also reset the
    numbering when you were "fooling around."

    First step is to read the manual! It may take several
    readings before you finally understand or find the relevant
    descriptions. Not reading the manual and "fooling around"
    can result in all sorts of apparently weird things
    happening, plus you won't know how to stop the weirdness.

    George E. Cawthon, Dec 25, 2004