    shots. A more efficient battery would be nice too.

    So which camera would be best for my uses?

    Thanks.

    Random1, Jun 11, 2004

  2. Random1

    Martik Guest

    Both use proprietary batteries and have no manual control. If you are not
    printing more than 4x6, 2MP is enough, consider the Canon A60, A70 etc -
    full manual control and standard AA batteries.

    Martik, Jun 11, 2004

  3. Random1

    jspen Guest

    I would go with the newer model cameras IMO, the A60 70 are old and there
    are reported issues
    with them... I would at least go 3.0MP in case you might ever want to crop
    the images you print to 4x6.
    For the money I would forget the 2.0MP...

    The Coolpix 3700 appears to be a real bargain of the 2 mentioned with the
    $100 rebate, less than $200
    at Buydig.com or Amazon.com. Seems to be a real good value for the money,
    and since you are looking for recreational
    pics the Nikon was rated pretty highly. Batteries are cheap even though
    propietary, smaller size and lighter weight are benefits...

    Go here for the review.
    http://www.digitalcamera-hq.com/nikon-coolpix-3700-reviews.html

    Many good choices out there! Just my .02...

    jspen, Jun 12, 2004
  4. They are not the same price. The Nikon has a $100 rebate. The Nikon works
    out to $200, the Canon is at least $325.

    Both cameras include Li-Ion batteries and charger. this is a very big
    consideration, try to avoid AA battery powered cameras if you want efficient
    batteries. Both have AF assist lamps. Do not buy a point and shoot without
    an AF assist lamp.

    I would get the Nikon 3700. 3 megapixels is sufficient for 4 x 6 prints.

    See http://digitalcamerashortlist.com for advice.

    Steven M. Scharf, Jun 13, 2004
  5. Actually, there aren't all that many good choices. After you eliminate
    cameras that lack a Li-Ion rechargeable battery, that lack AF assist, that
    have at least a metal body, 3X optical zoom, and a decent lens, you can
    narrow down your choices pretty fast.

    In fact, the CP3700 is probably the only $200 camera on the market that has
    these features.

    Steven M. Scharf, Jun 13, 2004
  6. Random1

    Daniel T Guest

    I have the Canon S410 and am very happy with the resolution and
    quality of photos both with and without flash. In addition, the macro
    function is great.

    The battery, in my opinion, is within my expectations but using flash
    will drain it faster. I carry a second battery as a backup (~$39). It
    will hold a charge during periods of non-use and doesn't have charge
    level memory problems like the older style batteries. Whether near
    fully drained or not before recharging, the battery life is around 300
    charges. You can opt to turn off the LCD to save battery life since
    the camera has a viewfinder, but I use the LCD all the time. Canon
    recommends pulling the battery out of the camera overnight due to
    "minimal" discharge while installed. "Minimal" is undefined by Canon.
    I've left it in overnight a few times to find "minimal" must be near
    zero in my estimation. The camera will hold any custom settings
    without an installed battery for about 3 weeks. If the camera is out
    of use for an extended period, an uninstalled battery will hold a
    charge; however Canon recommends recharging at least once per year.

    A 256 CF card will hold around 123 photos at the maximum superfine
    setting (largest image).

    The 4x6 prints using Canon Photo Pro paper with a Canon i860 printer
    are superb. Check out pbase.com for some sample pics; search by camera
    and then make your own decision, if you haven't already done so.

    If I'm not in a hurry, I use shutterfly.com for prints; cheaper than
    printing them at home. You can also store your photos on their site
    and share them with friends and relatives via emailed URL link. Shared
    and stored photos are visually scaled down from the original size you
    upload; however, the prints are made from the original.

    Good luck...

    Daniel T, Jun 19, 2004