Nikon CoolPix 2100 replacement ( AA NiMH batteries & Compact Flash)?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by rustydustin@yahoo.com, Jun 16, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I'd get another Nikon CoolPix if it weren't for the lack of flash
    memory (otherwise it's a great camera for my needs).

    Do you know offhand of a similar sized camera (pocket sized) which uses
    the same compact flash cards and AA batteries?

    My Nikon CoolPix 2100 battery door latch lost a millimeter of plastic
    and now does not hold batteries so my main option is replacing this
    beloved year old Nikon.

    There was only one thing I didn't like about the Nikon CoolPix 2100 and
    that was the fact it never remembered my flash settings (I always use
    fill flash but the default was stuck at AUTO).

    What's the closest replacement (size, AA, compact flash) to the Nikon
    CoolPix 2100?

    Anybody know?

    , Jun 16, 2005

  2. Terese Guest

    Re: Nikon CoolPix 2100 replacement ( AA NiMH batteries & CompactFlash)?

    wrote:

    > What's the closest replacement (size, AA, compact flash) to the Nikon
    > CoolPix 2100?

    a few weeks ago i started looking for a newer camera for my hubby.

    I have a CP 950 that i still use, but the shutter lag and stupid battery
    door drives him nuts... anyhoo -- I too wanted AA batteries and compact
    flash card. Those were my only requirements for this new camera.

    i did a search, on sites that compare cameras, and didnt have too much luck

    i went to my local camera shop and talked to the guy there, he
    recommended the Canon Powershot A95. so i just picked one up for $260.
    (been playing with it all night)

    not sure how the actual size compares to your 2100... seems a lil thick
    to put in a front shirt pocket.

    Terese, Jun 16, 2005

  3. Guest

    Terese wrote:
    > I have a CP 950 that i still use, but the shutter lag and stupid battery
    > door drives him nuts... anyhoo -- I too wanted AA batteries and compact
    > flash card. Those were my only requirements for this new camera.

    I'm unfamiliar with the Nikon "stupid" battery door problem.
    What is the engineering flaw in the Nikon?

    , Jun 16, 2005
  4. Terese Guest

    wrote:

    > I'm unfamiliar with the Nikon "stupid" battery door problem.
    > What is the engineering flaw in the Nikon?

    Since the day I opened the box, somewhere around 1999,
    the door never closed properly -- I had read that it was a problem
    so i wasn't too alarmed when i noticed it... and it seems to have gotten
    worse over time.

    http://www.smythcustomknives.com/batterydoor.jpg

    bump it just right, or sometimes just getting it out of the lil camera
    bag, that door pops right open and batteries spill onto the floor.

    the "locking" mechanism for the door panel does not work if you set it
    on "lock", it opens right up.

    >>engineering flaw

    yea, i'd say so. There are only 2 lil plastic (hook like) things that
    are supposed to hold the door shut.... one of mine is cracked.

    Terese, Jun 16, 2005
  5. Terese Guest

    wrote:

    > I'm unfamiliar with the Nikon "stupid" battery door problem.

    Hmmmmm, I'm assuming you are toying with me, I just stumbled onto
    Rusty's post about the reason he is replacing his camera ( his post from
    6/10/05)
    the broken door latch - what i called a plastic "hook" thing.

    Not a very good design

    Terese, Jun 16, 2005