    That said, I'd like to know what lenses in the Nikon line-up would be
    reasonable replacements for the 28, 45, and 90 mm lenses on my Contax G2.

    Thanks... DB

    Dane Brickman, Jul 3, 2004

  2. Dane Brickman

    Edward Bray Guest

    Hi Dane,

    As you are asking this quesion in the rec.photo.digital group I am assuming
    that you are querying lenses to fit on Digital bodies.

    I have owned many Nikon Cameras and lenses and can assure you that the Nikon
    Prime Lenses are just as good today as they were previously.

    As you are no doubt aware due to the size of the digital sensor in Nikon
    Bodies you have an increase in focal length by a factor of 1.5, thus a 28mm
    becomes a 42mm and a 300mm becomes a 450mm, whilst this is good news for
    sports and wildlife photographers it is not so good for photographers
    requiring wide angle lenses.

    All the prime Nikon lenses are excellant and if you want to replace the
    lenses as stated I would go for a AF-D 16mm (24mm on digital), 28mm AF-D
    (42mm on digital), 60mm Micro Nikkor 1-1 macro, very very sharp lens(90mm on
    Digital).

    I have gone a different route and use a 15-30mm Wideangle with a 60mm Micro
    Nikkor, and a 70-300 for the odd occasion when longer focal lengths are
    required, all on a D100 body. The results printed at A3 are outstanding.

    Hope this helps, Eddie.

    Edward Bray, Jul 3, 2004