    message.

    Any clues?

    Many thanks!

    Jaap, Jul 22, 2006

  2. Jaap

    Jaap Guest

    I have just noticed the above applies to TIFF files imported into
    Capture NX, but not NEF files. Still, I was hoping to be able to save
    any image file as a 'fully fledged' NEF file..

    ....any clues?

    Jaap, Jul 22, 2006

  3. Jaap

    Roy G Guest

    Hi.

    I don't have any clues about why it won't work.

    What I really don't understand is why you would want to convert an Image
    File to a RAW, and what do you mean by "Fully Fledged" RAW.

    They are not like other Image File Types, such as Tiff, PSD or Jpeg, etc.

    RAW files are specific to each camera manufacturer and also, very often, to
    a specific model. A D70 NEF is different from a D200 NEF. They are really
    only of use for storing the Raw Data from the Sensor, in order to allow the
    photographer more scope when making the conversion to an Image File.

    Roy G

    Roy G, Jul 22, 2006
  4. Jaap

    Jaap Guest

    Sorry; 'fully fledged' is perhaps a little obscure. All I mean to say
    is that it would be great to create a RAW file that opens up in
    Photoshop (or whatever other application) in the same way that a file
    straight from the camera does. Why? Just for those occasions when the
    client expects a bunch of RAW files (which in my case is often), and I
    want to do some surgery on an image(s) in Photoshop before I deliver the
    files, without the client being aware of my having modified the files.

    Jaap, Jul 23, 2006
  5. Jaap wrote:
    [snip]
    Something like that is currently possible with Lightroom, using "Linear
    DNG". It isn't raw, of course, but most of the details are the same as
    "Raw DNG". (You could start with a TIFF or JPEG, convert it to Linear
    DNG, then open that in the Silkypix raw converter. Most of what
    Silkypix does is not about converting raw!) But - it is then necessary
    to use software that can handle Linear DNG - ACR, LightZone, Silkypix,
    etc, can. Many raw converters can't.

    In effect, what is being discussed here is the NEF-equivalent of Linear
    DNG. But what is its format? Nikon haven't published it, as far as I
    know. (It obviously has features in it that are different from "raw
    NEF"). So perhaps only Nikon software can handle that special form of
    NEF at the moment.

    I believe we will see more of this sort of processing in future, with
    the new breed of image processors that can handle raw & TIFF & JPEG in
    similar ways. I would like to see a plugin to Photoshop that would save
    Photoshop files to Linear DNG.

    Barry Pearson, Jul 24, 2006