Nikon As-shot WB to be used in Adobe Camera Raw 3.2

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by deryck lant, Sep 6, 2005.

  1. deryck  lant

    deryck lant Guest

  2. Marketingspeak decoded by Adobe's Thomas Knoll:

    "What this means (so far) is that Nikon has added to their
    existing SDK (which performs the entire raw conversion as a black
    box) a new 'mini-SDK', which has the sole function of reading the
    white balance parameters from a NEF file (while still allowing the
    host application to do its own raw conversion).
    The upcoming Adobe Camera Raw 3.2 and DNG Converter 3.2 will use
    this Nikon 'mini-SDK' to provide 'as shot' white balance support
    for the Nikon D2X, D2Hs, and D50."

    Source:
    http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/[email protected]@.3bbc3e47/1

    In other words:

    Nikon will continue to encrypt the WB (and other metadata such as
    lens parameters).

    I agree that it is indeed good news that Nikon now will provide Adobe
    with the tools necessary to get access to the WB. But the fundamental
    problem - that the metadata in the image is just as much the property
    of the photographer as the image data, and therefore should not be
    encrypted in the first place - remains.

    Gisle Hannemyr, Sep 9, 2005