Nikon 8000 scanner, reds lost when transferred to Photoshop

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by nobody nowhere, Jan 15, 2004.

  1. When I use the scanner from inside Photoshop (import) the reds become
    almost an insipid brown (column 17 on the IT8 target, for the initiated)
    when transferred to PS. When still in the scanner window, they are much
    much better. If, in PS, I go to mode, assign profile, and assign
    Adobe RGB (1998), the colour is still brown, but there is a hint of red;
    if I assign the LS800 profile, I get the worst red, almost a pale brown.
    if I assign Wide Gamut RGB, the red seems to try to come back, I get the
    best red available so far.

    If I don't go through PS, and scan and save direct from the scanner, the
    reds are the best, although I wouldn't go so far as to call them
    perfect, but this might be due to my monitor, etc.

    This is not the end of my troubles with the reds. When I print (Canon
    i9100), the reds get very much worse than whatever they are on the
    monitor; I try to compensate with increased saturation, but then I get
    other problems, the balance of colours is disturbed, the image or parts
    of it become artificial, etc. Bill, can you hear me, did you get your
    Gretag Macbeth in the end? Are you happy with it?

    Any comments or suggestions on the above troubles would be much
    appreciated.

    nobody nowhere, Jan 15, 2004

  2. nobody nowhere

    Rick Guest

    Scratch your existing profiles for the scanner, monitor and printer,
    and any assigned profiles in PS and START OVER. Stay away
    from AdobeRGB, Wide Gamut RGB and other profiles that are
    utterly useless for a Canon 9100. Stick with sRGB wherever
    possible and take it one step at a time:

    For PS6:
    http://www.computer-darkroom.com/photoshop_6/ps6_1.htm

    For PS7:
    http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps7-colour/ps7_1.htm

    For PS CS:
    http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps8-colour/ps8_1.htm

    Rick

    Rick, Jan 15, 2004

  3. Thanks Rick.

    --

    Joseph White

    Whilst we run an anti-virus program on all outgoing e-mails, we are not liable
    for any loss or damage which might be caused by virus infection, and the
    Recipient is strongly advised to run their own anti-virus software as well.

    nobody nowhere, Jan 15, 2004
  4. nobody nowhere

    AArDvarK Guest

    Check out