  1. I often wondered whether there might be a penalty to pay for the luxury
    of ICE in terms of image quality, eg. resolution, etc. What do the
    initiated think? (In other words, is ICE a totally free lunch?... :))

    Nobody Nowhere, Dec 29, 2004

  2. Nobody Nowhere

    Jim Guest

    There ain't no such things as a free lunch.
    ICE has some effect on resolution (but you might disagree).
    However, if your image needs ICE, then you have no choice.
    Jim

    Jim, Dec 30, 2004

  3. Nobody Nowhere

    Don Lathrop Guest

    Nobody Nowhere asked:
    I've used Digital ICE with my Coolscan III
    for years, and it's a Godsend. I have had images
    that were completely covered in dust and scratches
    brought back to a defect-free condition. I believe
    that there is a slight reduction in resolution, but
    it's not very noticeable, and as the other poster
    said, when you're using ICE, you're happy to
    have an image at all.

    The first time I used it, I couldn't believe how
    well it worked. You really have to see it to
    believe it. It can take utter trash and turn it
    into a fine image.

    I've used it mainly on very old negatives from
    the 50s and 60s that have suffered crazing
    and emulsion cracks from thermal stress.
    One word of caution -- if you have very dirty
    negatives with lots of hair and dust, you do not
    want to put those into your scanner without
    cleaning them thoroughly first. You can
    put your scanner out of commission and send
    it to the shop with a bit of dirt in the optics.

    Don Lathrop, Dec 30, 2004
  4. Thanks.
    nobody

    Nobody Nowhere, Dec 30, 2004