    Any thoughts???? The Kalimar is just a standard 35 mm hot shoe unit,
    uses 4 AA batteries, ISO 100 guide number, etc.

    Thanks for any advice....David

    David, Nov 24, 2003

  2. David

    Frank ess Guest

    I understand that you may use any external flash to its limits with the
    proviso that its trigger voltage is below a value that would damage the
    camera electronics.

    I've forgotten the voltage for Coolpix.

    There is a site with a table, but I have lost the link.

    This may be a start:
    http://www.bythom.com/coolflash.htm

    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Nov 24, 2003

  3. David

    Donald Gray Guest

    According to page 138 of the 5700 manual:-
    Use only Nikon Speedlights. Negative voltages or voltages over 250v
    applied to the camera's sync terminal could not only prevent normal
    operation, but also damage the sync circuitry or flash.
    Unquote

    Note: 250 V trigger voltage !!!!!! I wonder it that was a typo?

    I am using a Canon 380EX (which is not a standard iso hot shoe) with
    my 5700. the way I configured it was to purchase 2 adaptors. one
    having a pc SOCKET and the other with a pc PLUG on a cable.

    The one with the socket sits on the camera's hot shoe and only picks
    up the centre pin and ground (side of shoe)

    The one with the cable sits on a flash bar onto which is the flash.

    I have done a quick web page to show what I mean:
    www.websilk.co.uk/hotshoe

    That is as far as I have got at the moment. I still have to work out
    how to get it to do automatic exposure. At the moment I am setting the
    exposure to manual and using half power and f8 as a starting point. I
    am still learning to use the camera and how to set up the various
    advanced modes!
    --
    Donald Gray
    www.odcombe.demon.co.uk