Nikon 50mm/f1,2

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Sandman, Jun 10, 2014.

  1. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    Blog:
    <http://jonaseklundh.se/pages/Nikon_50mmf12?lang=en>

    <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg209629.png>

    Now I finally have the final lens in my Bokeh-collection, the
    legendary Nikon 50mm/f1.2 - very fast so the expectations are pretty
    high for creamy bokeh.

    It's manual focus of course, so getting the focus right is pretty
    tricky, especially at f1.2. I've been testing it on my Sony A7 with MF
    Assist (EVF zooms in) and focusing is still pretty hard to get just
    right, even in the lightest of breezes.

    Well, here are some test shots, soon I'll post a "showdown" of all the
    bokeh lenses in the collection.

    <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg209630.jpg>
    ILCE-7, 0.0 mm, f/0.0, 1/2500 sec., ISO 50

    <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg209631.jpg>
    ILCE-7, 0.0 mm, f/0.0, 1/500 sec., ISO 50

    <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg209632.jpg>
    ILCE-7, 0.0 mm, f/0.0, 1/800 sec., ISO 100

    <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg209633.jpg>
    ILCE-7, 0.0 mm, f/0.0, 1/1000 sec., ISO 50

    <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg209634.jpg>
    ILCE-7, 0.0 mm, f/0.0, 1/5000 sec., ISO 50

    As you can see, most of the times, the bokeh is really really creamy
    and nice.

    Sandman, Jun 10, 2014

  2. Sandman

    Mort Guest

    In the old days, I briefly owned this lens for my Nikon F/F2 cameras,
    but I soon sold it. The F 1.4 was much sharper,and had much less
    distortion, than the F 1.2. The quality loss was just not worth it, for
    a 1/3 F stop gain.

    Mort Linder

    Mort, Jun 10, 2014

  3. Sandman

    PeterN Guest

    I still use my 50mm 1.4.

    PeterN, Jun 10, 2014
  4. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    The 1.4 is much sharper at 1.4 than this one is at 1.2, but I would say
    that this one is sharper at 2 and 2.8 than the 1.4. I'll try to test that
    theory at some point. :)

    Sandman, Jun 10, 2014