Nikon 4100 vs Cybershot dsc p73

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Sachin Kale, Aug 27, 2004.

  1. Sachin Kale

    Sachin Kale Guest

    Hello All,
    I am pathologist from India, I was looking for a all purpose camera - which
    I can use for photomicrography as well as a family camera.
    I shortlisted the Nikon 4100 and Sony p73, as these suited my budget.

    I did some research on the net to make a final decision. In some reviews
    users have not been happy with Nikon 4100, they say there is noise and
    pictures are not great. As far as sony p73 is concerned, people have praised
    its movie mode.

    I have experience with Nikon 2100 and sony p70, I found the
    photomicrographs were better with 2100 than p70, so I am more biased towards
    Nikon than Sony, but after reading the user opinions I am confused.

    I would be grateful if you guide me further.

    Thanks

    Sachin Kale, MD.
    India.

    http://www.usenet.com

    Sachin Kale, Aug 27, 2004

  2. Sachin Kale

    Sachin Kale Guest

    Sorry for being persistent. I dont know why this message was ignored.
    May be the subject of the email was confusing. Or has everybody got
    sick of replying to such questions. But I am not sure which one to buy
    - Nikon 4100 or Cybershot DSC P73, so any inputs will be highly
    appreciated.

    Thanks.

    Sachin

    Sachin Kale, Aug 28, 2004

  3. Sachin Kale

    Hornbill Guest

    Hi,

    I am no expert. I have a 995 coolpix and is excellent for microscopic
    photography. The lens does not move during focusing and with someform of
    lecking device you can fix it to your microscope and take fantastic quality
    photos of histopath slides.
    Try going to this site, you might be able to lear something there.

    Sarawak.

    Hornbill, Aug 30, 2004
  4. Sachin Kale

    Hornbill Guest

    Doc,

    I once owned a Sony P9 digital. The colour is artificially deep. Comparing
    to my Nikon Coolpix 995 (now not in production anymore) I prefer Nikon 995.

    With 995, you can take pic from the eye piece of the microscope. I have
    taken blast cells, malariae parasites pic. skin scrapping pic of fungal
    elements with my old 995. They are o.k. My Sony P9 with retractable lens I
    can't use it on the microscope eyepiece. I believe, with your sony model P73
    you can't either. Same goes to Nikon 4100! They all have moving /retractable
    lens. You can't put it to your microscpe's eye piece and focus without
    jamming/damaging the focussing system. May be they still have 4500 Nikon.

    If you are like me, wanting something small, put inside your pocket and go
    street photography, I will get nikon 3200. I hate sony's colour. May be your
    "retinae" are different from mine. I suggest you shoot both sony and nikon
    and develop the picture to see your liking!!

    As for family camera, some people like small cam, Nikon 995/4500 is much
    larger. Not pocket-friendly. You have to swing it around your neck.

    Take your pick. Good luck

    From Sarawak, Malaysia.

    Hornbill, Aug 30, 2004
  5. Sachin Kale

    Sachin Kale Guest

    Thanks for the reply.

    This was left unanswered for so long that I stopped looking at it,
    then I saw your answer.

    I think Nikon 4500 is the upgrade of 995, so will check that out.

    Thanks

    Sachin Kale, MD.
    India

    Sachin Kale, Sep 2, 2004