Nikon 135mm f/2 DC

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Sandman, May 12, 2014.

  1. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    Blog:
    <http://jonaseklundh.se/pages/Nikon_135mm_F2_Dc?lang=en>

    I just got myself the Nikon 135mm/f2 DC. DC is for "Defocus Control",
    which is Nikon's patented system for controlling the background or
    foreground blur.

    Some say this is one of the best portrait lenses in the world, so the
    expectations are high!

    I've only been able to try it out a bit, but the technique is that the
    "Defocus Image Control" ring correlates to the aperture you're using.
    Se it to 0 and it's a normal lens, but if you use it, you set it to 2
    to the "R" (rear) side if you're shooting at f2, which enhances the
    background blur.

    Here are some test images:

    <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg208873.jpg>
    NIKON D4, 135.0 mm, f/2.0, 1/1600 sec., ISO 400

    <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg208874.jpg>
    NIKON D800E, 135.0 mm, f/2.0, 1/1600 sec., ISO 640

    <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg208875.jpg>
    NIKON D4, 135.0 mm, f/2.0, 1/160 sec., ISO 1000

    <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg208876.jpg>
    NIKON D800E, 135.0 mm, f/2.0, 1/320 sec., ISO 1250

    <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg208877.jpg>
    NIKON D800E, 135.0 mm, f/4.0, 1/80 sec., ISO 2000

    Sandman, May 12, 2014

  2. I have one of these put away somewhere - you have inspired me to use
    it again, but until I find it I think that mine may be the 105 mm
    version.

    Thanks for posting those nice photographs!

    Polly the Parrott, May 12, 2014

  3. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    Yeah, the 105mm is the exact same lens, only shorter. It's just as good
    Thank you :)

    Sandman, May 12, 2014
  4. Sandman

    PeterN Guest

    To my eye there is an overall softness. Is there a way of using more
    control so you can have some portion in sharp focus, if you want to. Or
    is this lens pure soft focus, which produces a dreamy effect.

    I would also like to make an overall comment on the images. The soft
    bright lights on the right in first of your daughter are distracting to
    me. I find my eye keeps drifting from your daughter, who is the subject,
    to those light blurry circles. In my personal opinion when doing soft
    focus work, you control where you want the viewer to look primarily
    through tones. The human eye tends to look for the brighter areas.
    Therefor I would tend to add more luminosity to the area I want the
    viewer to look at. In the first image of your son, I wold have made his
    face sharper and his eyes a lot sharper.
    Having said that I realize the purpose of your images was to demonstrate
    the lens.

    PeterN, May 12, 2014