    experience out there with this combination? 60mm seems sufficiently
    long to avoid this problem, but I thought I should check before making
    this purchase.

    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Sep 1, 2005

  2. Thomas T. Veldhouse

    [BnH] Guest

    Use it with D1H and S2 Pro , no problems at all.

    =bob=

    [BnH], Sep 1, 2005

  3. Thomas T. Veldhouse

    Sharp Guest

    Also works wonderefully well with my D100

    Sharp, Sep 1, 2005
  4. Probably the best proof for me, as I have a D70, which is very similar.

    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Sep 1, 2005
  5. Thomas T. Veldhouse

    Charlie Choc Guest

    Ditto on my D100. It's a great lens.

    Charlie Choc, Sep 1, 2005
  6. Thomas T. Veldhouse

    Deedee Tee Guest

    I bought it a few months ago for my D70s (I believe it has the same
    sensor chip as the D70). I have taken several hundred macro shots for
    scientific use, with no visible problems. It is a sharp lens for
    repro, close-up and macro, if you don't close the diaphragm too much
    (and if you do, you have to blame quantum mechanics, not this lens).
    The only potential problem is the rather short working distance at
    high magnification, which is why I also have a Sigma 180 f/3.5 Apo
    Macro. As macro lenses go, the Nikkor Micro 60 is also cheap.

    Deedee Tee, Sep 2, 2005
  7. Thanks. I just made the purchase and look forward to having the time to
    play with this lens and compose some pictures.

    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Sep 2, 2005
  8. Thomas T. Veldhouse

    John Denk Guest

    Really? Why is that? I use this lens on my D70, often at f22 or even
    smaller apertures and can't say that I've seen a problem.

    What happens at small apertures? Obviously, I am not up on quantum
    mechanics.

    TIA,
    John

    John Denk, Sep 2, 2005
  9. Thomas T. Veldhouse

    Mike Warren Guest

    At very small apertures diffraction comes into play. This is caused
    by light rays striking the edge of the diaphragm and creates an overall
    reduction in sharpness of the image.

    -Mike

    Mike Warren, Sep 3, 2005
  10. Thomas T. Veldhouse

    Deedee Tee Guest

    As another poster just mentioned, diffraction makes the picture less
    sharp. Photons passing close to the edge of the diaphragm do not
    travel on a straight line (this is where quantum mechanics comes into
    play). At small diaphragm apertures, the open area of the diaphragm
    (where photons travel on a straight path) is proportionally smaller
    than the perimeter of the diaphragm (where photons do not), so
    diffraction is more important at small apertures (high f values). In
    poorly or cheaply designed lenses, closing the diaphragm reduces some
    of the uncorrected aberrations (which usually are highest around the
    edges of the lenses), so the loss of sharpness due to diffraction is
    offset by this positive effect, except at very small diaphragm
    apertures. In a lens designed for minimal aberrations and capable of
    very small diaphragm settings (macro lenses are), diffraction is more
    important.

    If you take a test shot of a rather flat but detailed subject (in best
    conditions, i.e., steady tripod and subject, precise focusing, no
    thermal air currents) you should be able to see more fine detail
    around f/5.6 to f/8 than at f/32. This is especially true at high
    magnification, where the effective f value is higher than the nominal
    value shown on the lens barrel.

    Whether you should use a low or high f value depends on the subject
    and the amount of depth of field you want to obtain, but if you shoot
    a flat or shallow subject at high f you will loose fine detail without
    gaining anything else.

    Deedee Tee, Sep 3, 2005
  11. Thomas T. Veldhouse

    John Denk Guest

    Thanks for the detailed explanation. So this would apply for any camera,
    digital or film then. I was concerned that this was a digital-only
    shortcoming.

    I only go to the really small f stops when shooting really small stuff
    that requires more depth of field than the larger stops can give.

    I just got a macro rail, so I'll have to do some tests on a tripod using
    the rail to ensure sharp focus to get a feel for what happens when I use
    the small stops.

    Again, thanks!
    John

    John Denk, Sep 4, 2005