    Am I missing something? Is it possible to use this lens with a D80 and
    automatic metering?

    Comments and observations requested please.

    Malcolm H, Jan 30, 2007

  2. RTFM, p. 117, second item from the bottom left.

    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Jan 30, 2007

  3. Malcolm H

    tomm42 Guest

    Same as your earlier post, an older manual lens. So with the D80, no
    metering, manual only. You need an autofocus lens with this camera to
    meter. The lack of metering with non autofocus (unchipped) lenses is
    how Nikon differentiates amateur and pro targeted cameras. This should
    have been explained to you when you bought the camera. With a D200 you
    could get aperture priority metering.
    BTW, the lens has to be an AI or AIS lens or the mount may damage the
    camera.

    Tom

    tomm42, Jan 30, 2007
  4. Malcolm H

    Malcolm H Guest

    Thank you Ed, yes I had read that in the manual but was looking for
    confirmation because the guy who lent it to me said that metering was
    definitely possible!

    Malcolm H, Jan 30, 2007
  5. Malcolm H

    Ed Ruf Guest

    Not with a D80. It is possible with a D200 or higher level body which
    allows you to manually input the max lens aperture into a custom
    setting, as Tom pointed out.
    -
    Ed Ruf ()

    Ed Ruf, Jan 30, 2007
  6. With a D200, a D2x, etc. Not with the consumer cameras, they've left
    out the mechanical interface to the aperture.

    Lack of metering isn't a big problem in an amazing number of situations;
    I used AI lenses on my Fuji S2 a lot without metering. Other times,
    it's critical, though.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Jan 30, 2007
  7. And I've been told by someone who tried it on a D200 that you don't
    even have to input the lens max aperture or other data into the camera
    if you don't want to; as long as you can accept that then the
    automatic flash functionality etc. aren't going to be the best
    possible.

    Toni Nikkanen, Jan 30, 2007
  8. Malcolm H

    tomm42 Guest

    You can, the lens will wi=ork without inputing data, but I have 2 AIS
    lenses a 24 f2 and a 100 f2.8 series E. If the wrong one is listed on
    the manual lens list the fstops don't read right in the camera
    viewfinder. But the meter nulls on the correct fstop. So you have the
    24 f2 on and the meter reads 1/250 @ f5.6 stick on the 100 and the
    reading will be 1/250 @ f8, but the meter will still be in the center.

    Tom

    tomm42, Jan 30, 2007
  9. Malcolm H

    Malcolm H Guest

    Thank you for the info Tom - very useful indeed!

    Malcolm H, Jan 31, 2007