Nikkor 400mm/f2.8

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Sandman, May 14, 2014.

  1. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    <http://www.nikon.com/news/2014/0514_lens_02.htm>

    AF-S NIKKOR 400mm f/2.8E FL ED VR
    - New professional grade telephoto option for professional and passionate
    photographers

    - Nearly two pounds lighter, yet more durable than its predecessor; ideal
    for shooting sports, action and wildlife

    - Improved AF, exposure accuracy and speed.

    - Vibration Reduction (VR) technology with up to four stops of image
    stabilization

    - Contains two fluorite elements, two Extra-Low Dispersion (ED) glass
    elements and Nano Crystal Coat

    - Features an electronic diaphragm, allowing for stable exposure even
    during high speed shooting

    - Available in August 2014 for $11,999.95 SRP

    Nikon TC-14E III Teleconverter

    Effectively multiplies focal length of many NIKKOR lenses by 1.4x, while
    losing only one stop of exposure

    - Features fluorine coating for enhanced resistance to dirt and water.

    - Available in August 2014 for $499.95 SRP.

    Sandman, May 14, 2014

  2. Sandman

    RichA Guest

    40% increase in price over the current unit

    RichA, May 14, 2014

  3. Sandman

    Guest Guest

    it's also a better lens and weighs less.

    Guest, May 14, 2014
  4. Sandman

    RichA Guest

    The fluorite glass at up to $1000/lb could have accounted for a good deal of the increase. It's still the best material for low-dispersion.

    RichA, May 15, 2014
  5. Sandman

    PeterN Guest

    So don"t buy it.

    PeterN, May 15, 2014
  6. Sandman

    PeterN Guest

    Looks like a good lens. I have my heart set on the 600mm f4.

    <http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...2C5sSkrr4CFcpQ7AodCD4A_A&Q=&is=GREY&A=details>

    But, the weight is a big factor. And I need clearance from the budget
    director.

    I will probably trde in my TC II for that.

    PeterN, May 15, 2014
  7. Sandman

    PAS Guest

    PAS, May 15, 2014
  8. Sandman

    PeterN Guest

    I didn't ask. I told her I was getting that lens, when we buy a place on
    Sanibel. She agreed, since there is a better chance of you converting to
    Buddhism, then me purchasing a place on Sanibel. (Though about twenty
    five years ago, we almost did.)

    PeterN, May 15, 2014
  9. Sandman

    RichA Guest

    How DO you come up with such original, witty responses?

    RichA, May 15, 2014
  10. Sandman

    PeterN Guest

    Because there's very little plastic in it.

    PeterN, May 15, 2014
  11. That's one big outlay.

    Wonder how many Nikon budget to sell a year?

    Polly the Parrott, May 15, 2014
  12. Sandman

    Robert Coe Guest

    : <http://www.nikon.com/news/2014/0514_lens_02.htm>
    :
[...]

    Oho!! A beasley $11,999.95! (Thank God it wasn't $12,000, which would be over
    my limit.) I'd rush right out and buy one, but alas, I have no Nikon bodies
    whereon to use the same.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, May 16, 2014
  13. Sandman

    Guest Guest

    i thought you saving for the canon 1200mm f/5.6.

    <http://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/newsLetter/Canon-EF-1200mm.jsp>

    Guest, May 16, 2014
  14. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    Details :)

    Sandman, May 16, 2014
  15. Sandman

    Robert Coe Guest

    : In article <>, Robert Coe
    :
    : > :
    : > : - Available in August 2014 for $11,999.95 SRP
    : >
    : > Oho!! A beasley $11,999.95! (Thank God it wasn't $12,000, which would be over
    : > my limit.) I'd rush right out and buy one, but alas, I have no Nikon bodies
    : > whereon to use the same.
    :
    : i thought you saving for the canon 1200mm f/5.6.
    :
    : <http://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/newsLetter/Canon-EF-1200mm.jsp>

    I'd first have to be convinced that it wasn't an April Fool's joke. :^)

    Bob

    Robert Coe, May 18, 2014
  16. Sandman

    Guest Guest

    it's a real lens, with only a handful ever having been made.

    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EF_1200mm_lens>
    Few of these lenses exist; Canon has never released production
    figures, but it is almost certain that fewer than 100 were made, and
    it has been rumored that the actual number is closer to 20.

    Guest, May 18, 2014