  1. BROZ

    BROZ Guest

    Thinking of buying...

    BROZ, Jul 4, 2006

  2. BROZ

    Rudy Benner Guest

    I was thinking that I should have bought the camera body with this lens
    instead of the 18-70 kit lens and a 70-300 zoom.

    R.

    Rudy Benner, Jul 4, 2006

  3. BROZ

    kombi45 Guest

    There's a lot of discussion on it over at Nikonians. Seems optically
    competent, but the workmanship in many cases has been shoddy - lots of
    slippage at the higher zoom end, I read about some that were noisy
    beyond the normal VR threshold, and more. Check out the "Nikkor
    Lenses" conference, and there's some good info there...

    kombi45, Jul 4, 2006
  4. BROZ

    [BnH] Guest

    An excellent allrounder lens. Can't beat the 70-200 VR but if you are
    covering events and
    can taked some posed photos of the guests , is a darn good lens.

    I did 1/40" f/8 @ ISO 400 + SB-800 bounced with Gary Fong lightsphere II
    without any worry it shaking.

    IF only Nikon can fix their production line for this lens as I heard this
    lens is now made in Thailand.

    =bob=

    [BnH], Jul 4, 2006
  5. BROZ

    Don Wiss Guest

    Exactly. It has a wonderful range for things like a parade. You can't stop
    the parade and switch lenses. You can see an example here:
    http://donwiss.com/pictures/Mermaid-2006/

    I haven't used it at other events, but I'm sure this would also hold true.
    Mine is from Thailand. It was bought back in March.

    If you are not at the widest position, and you point the camera down, the
    lens slides out to the full zoom position. So if you want to take a picture
    downwards you have to hold the zoom ring to keep it there.

    Don Wiss, Jul 4, 2006
  6. BROZ

    [BnH] Guest

    <-- exactly. The unit I use does not have that problem apparently.
    As I remember I normally set it to 20-24mm and walk around with it and it
    did not slide out.
    Whilst most unit that is made in Thailand .. have that problem.

    [BnH], Jul 4, 2006
  7. BROZ

    Don Wiss Guest

    I just did a test. I pointed the camera down. At 18-24 it holds. Just a
    little past 24 and it slides out to just past 135.

    Don Wiss, Jul 4, 2006
  8. BROZ

    Robert Strom Guest

    I just did a test as well. The only way I could make the zoom "slide"
    was to set the lens at about 50mm and shake the camera while pointing
    down.
    My lens was made in Thailand and was bought in June.

    I don't consider this a problem as I never shake my camera hard enough
    to zoom the lens in actual use.

    rob

    Robert Strom, Jul 5, 2006
  9. BROZ

    SMS Guest

    That's basically what all the reviews have said about it as well, a very
    good lens for the money, but the build quality isn't great. Some have a
    very tight zoom ring, but at least they don't creep, while the ones with
    a loose zoom ring tend to creep.

    SMS, Jul 5, 2006
  10. BROZ

    Don Wiss Guest

    I just called Nikon at 1-800-645-6689. The fellow (Greg) said he had heard
    about this only once before. He says it is not a known issue. But I can
    send in the lens and they will take a look at it.

    While I was on the phone with him I tried it, and it wasn't sliding out.
    But the humidity is higher this morning than it was yesterday.

    Don Wiss, Jul 5, 2006
  11. I'm not following. If the build quality is suspect and variable, how is
    this a good lens to $800+?

    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Jul 5, 2006
  12. I guess if it does what the owner wants it to for that bargain price it is a
    good lens. The 18-70mm kit lens is a phenomenal lens for the price, but
    after using the 17-35mm and 28-70mm f/2.8 lenses I bought to replace it I
    can authoritatively say it sucks. I can't even put it on any of my cameras
    since it doesn't even feel right. It does take good pictures in most
    circumstances and really is a great lens for the price.

    As for the 18-200, I'm sure it's a great lens (with the expected
    compromises) for the price and the range it covers. I'm considering getting
    one for the times I don't want to carry around a 20# plus backpack of lenses
    and other crap to cover the same range. That to me is a bargain at $800.

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Jul 5, 2006
  13. BROZ

    SMS Guest

    To get that zoom range, with that quality of optics, and
    image-stabilization, for that price makes it a good value. The build
    quality is adequate for amateur photographers. It's not a professional
    quality lens, but a pro would never use a lens with such a wide zoom
    range anyway, because of the inherent compromises.

    SMS, Jul 6, 2006