Nifty (free) utility that addresses a lot of questions asked here.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Unk, Feb 22, 2004.

  1. Unk

    Unk Guest

    I usually don't endorse programs, but this one is quite nice,

    It combined the best of TweakUI, Msconfig, regedit, and a few others.

    You can disable unused services, deactivate potentially dangerous or
    vulnerable operating system components, and turn off automatic "call home"
    features of XP, Windows Media Player, Internet Explorer and Outlook Express.

    Often each procedure requires multiple steps and may involve editing the
    Registry or other complex tasks.

    Here's a program that will make it easier for you to do these things, and it
    works on Windows 9x, ME and 2000 as well as XP. Best of all, it's free,
    reversable, and doesn't require being installed. Just download the zip
    version, extract, and run it.

    SafeXP at: http://www.xelation.nl/theorica/safexp.htm

    Here's a screen shot: http://www.xelation.nl/theorica/download/safeXPscr.gif
    Direct Download: http://www.xelation.nl/theorica/download/SafeXP.zip

    They even have a nice codecs package.
    http://www.xelation.nl/theorica/codecs.htm

    Unk, Feb 22, 2004

  2. Unk

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Unk posted ...
    Have you used it much, Unk ?

    I'm always a little wary of these type of 'Do everything you ever wanted'
    applications. Bu tit looks reasonable so I'm gonna try it on a spare box.

    Paul - xxx, Feb 22, 2004

  3. Unk

    Unk Guest

    Yes, I've used it. It works as advertised. The only bug I've seen is
    related to Windows Media Player. After changing the "Download codecs
    automatically" setting, it grayed-out the box in the WMP Tools, Options,
    menu. You can still toggle it back with SafeXP, but the box remains
    grayed-out.

    Unk, Feb 22, 2004
  4. Unk

    Unk Guest

    I fixed the gray-out problem with the Group Policy Editor.
    In the Run box, type "gpedit.msc" (without the quotes)
    Administrative Templates, Windows Components, Windows Media Player,
    Playback, "Prevent Codec download", reset to "Not Configured"

    Unk, Feb 22, 2004
  5. Unk

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Unk posted ...
    Yeah .. just been trying it and found the same .. but I didn't fix it ..
    thanks ;)

    Paul - xxx, Feb 22, 2004
  6. Unk

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Unk posted ...
    Found another, relatively innocuous, small bug.

    When the Miscellaneous 'Clear Page File at Shutdown' is checked, my XP
    installation takes about two minutes to shut down .. instead of about 4
    seconds ..

    Un-checking it restores a quick shutdown procedure.

    Only small, and I guess not really a bug, just doing it's job and what the
    user inputs thoroughly, but some may see it as a hindrance .. ;)

    Paul - xxx, Feb 22, 2004
  7. Unk

    Unk Guest

    That's not a bug. That happens no matter how you set that option.
    In Win XP, the Group Policy Editor has a security option to clear the
    pagefile at system shutdown. The same setting also forces the hibernation
    file to be wiped at shutdown.

    It takes a LONG time to delete a 1.5 Gig file!! :))

    Unk, Feb 22, 2004
  8. Unk

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Unk posted ...
    Yeah, just been finding that out .. ;)

    As I said, not really a bug, but maybe a bit too much for a 'Safe' tweak
    style utility. Some new users may not shut down and restart often enough to
    associate the change with the check made in this program .. so worth
    pointing out I reckon.

    ;)

    Paul - xxx, Feb 22, 2004
  9. Unk

    Unk Guest

    Too long even for a security wipe. You REALLY have to be paranoid to use
    it. If you MUST, use "verbose.vbs" to see what Windows is doing behind
    those shutdown and startup screens so you know it didn't freeze up.
    Line #69 (Right side) 'Startup/Shutdown/Logon/Logoff Status Messages'

    Direct: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/verbose.vbs

    Unk, Feb 22, 2004
  10. Found another, relatively innocuous, small bug.
    Thanks Paul.
    I had the same problem and thought my pc had crashed.
    I had just installed kaspersky antivirus and thought it might have been
    something to do with that.

    Thanks again Paul

    Gaz

    Gareth not NLL or anybody else., Feb 23, 2004
  11. Unk

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Gareth not NLL or anybody else. posted ...
    No worries .. ;)

    That's why I like newsgroups .. one problems solution can lead to another
    problems resolution, similar symptoms often have similar causes .. ;)

    Paul - xxx, Feb 23, 2004