NIC and reducing wear and tear

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by someone, Jan 3, 2005.

  1. someone

    someone Guest

    We have a Dell laptop Inspirion 1150 ~ 6 months old. Dell provided a
    warranty replacement of the NIC last week as a cat 5 cable would no longer
    make
    a consistent connection (troubleshooting to verify the problem removed
    here).

    I have been searching for a cat 5 cable perhaps 6" in length to connect the
    laptop to the network. By using the cable hopefully the wear would
    be on a disposable cable and not on the NIC of the laptop.

    Wireless is not a solution as the work location for the laptop is on a wired
    network.

    Dell suggested a $90 PCMIA solution.

    I know I could buy a crimper and make the cable myself, but I suspect it
    should be available to order. (but so far I have not found a supplier).

    Is this type of cable available? URL for a supplier appreciated.

    someone, Jan 3, 2005

  2. someone

    why? Guest

    You mean the NIC port built in to the motherboard?
    Very easy to find in almost any computer store.
    What? That makes no sense.
    It's not April yet.

    You don't mention any country / region / state , I know of a few
    suppliers but you may not want to buy from the UK.
    Yes, from many suppliers. Try any of the major search engines.

    For example, the IP address of your meassage traces to Atlanta GA it's
    possibly just the server location and not yours.

    However www.google.com enter -
    cat5 cable atlanta georga supplier

    You get -

    Cable Accessories - Georgia (GA)
    .... USA We provide to our customers cables, adapters, gender ...
    equipment, hubs, switches, routers, cat5 patch panels. ... Control
    Center is an Atlanta based distributor ...
    www.kellysearch.com/us-ga-product-414.html - 44k - Cached - Similar
    pages

    Instead try
    computer retail atlanta GA

    Computer Stores in Atlanta, GA on Yahoo! Local
    .... Psychological Resources (404) 892-3000 74 14th St Nw Atlanta, GA
    Map, Rate this, 2.62 mi. Category: Computer Stores - Used Computer
    Retailers - Mental Health ...
    http://local.yahoo.com/GA/Atlanta/7737205/Computers+and+Internet/8104673/Computer+Stores/
    - 38k - Cached - Similar pages

    If that fails, there must be yellow pages online? Why I am wondering if
    there is when it's easy to check using www.google.com

    Atlanta Yellow Pages and Atlanta GA Guide
    Yellow Pages, White Pages and More, Atlanta Yellow Pages and Search
    Guide. ...
    Atlanta Yellow Pages. 6 different Atlanta Yellow Pages here! ...
    http://atlanta.areaconnect.com/ - Similar pages

    Me

    why?, Jan 3, 2005

  3. someone

    Brian Guest

    hmmm. worth a thought.. but on the other hand.. wtf. are you on about?

    Brian, Jan 3, 2005