    Recently, I noticed that several News Groups I was subscribed to disappeared
    from my Outlook Express and from the list at the News Server... Anybody
    noticed this? What's going on?

    ilyaz, Oct 4, 2007

  2. ilyaz

    Sano Guest

    Did it have "recovery" in it? Yup. I don't see one either.

    Sano, Oct 4, 2007

  3. ilyaz

    ilyaz Guest

    No, it was soc.genealogy
    IZ

    ilyaz, Oct 4, 2007
  4. ilyaz

    VanguardLH Guest

    Did you try resetting the newsgroups list and retrieving it again?
    Right-click on the NNTP server in the tree list, Newsgroups, and reset
    the list. Then do the search on whatever group disappeared on you.

    VanguardLH, Oct 4, 2007
  5. ilyaz

    ilyaz Guest

    Yeah, 4 times... First time it frizzed at 31491, second at 31593, third at
    30067, do not remember the exact number but somewhere above 30000... Don't
    know, whose fault it is, my machine or the server. Any suggestions?
    Thanks for your input.
    Ilya

    ilyaz, Oct 5, 2007
  6. ilyaz

    thanatoid Guest

    <SNIP>

    Why don't you get a real newsreader? (look it up)

    Why don't stop top-posting? (look it up)

    thanatoid, Oct 5, 2007
  7. ilyaz

    VanguardLH Guest

    But did you *reset* before redownloading the groups list?

    Right-click on the tree node for the newsserver, Properties, Local
    File, Reset. Then retrieve the groups again.

    Got any anti-malware that is intercepting your NNTP traffic?

    VanguardLH, Oct 5, 2007
  8. ilyaz

    Sano Guest

    It's not showing in my Supernews either. I reloaded the entire list.

    You could request it 'back'.

    Sano, Oct 5, 2007
  9. ilyaz

    ilyaz Guest

    Apparently I did not. Here's my problem. I use Outlook Express. When I
    Right click on the tree node for the news.east.earthlink.net, a drop down
    menu opens: Open, Find, Remove Account, Set as Default, Newsgroups, Reset
    List, Properties. Clicking on Properties, open the standard dropdown menu
    from Tools, Accounts, Properties. And there is not (or I don't know!) a way
    to get to Local File, Reset... I'll appreciate your further assistance.
    I don't think so. I have a Windows Live OneCare installed and running
    updated.

    ilyaz, Oct 5, 2007
  10. ilyaz

    ilyaz Guest

    How do I do this? I contacted EarthLink via Chat and tech said he'll elevate
    this issue, but that was it.
    Ilya

    ilyaz, Oct 5, 2007
  11. ilyaz

    VanguardLH Guest

    Oops, using the tree list requires that you right-click on a group to
    reset the messages list for that group only. Go to Tools ->
    Options -> Maintenance -> Cleanup and do the reset from there. That
    clears the message list for all groups across all newsservers that you
    have defined in OE.

    VanguardLH, Oct 5, 2007
  12. ilyaz

    ilyaz Guest

    OK, I reset, removed all the messages from my Outlook Express, but still,
    when I tried to download the list of groups from news server, the same
    freeze happened at 31563 groups downloaded... I really see no connection
    between messages in my Outlook Express and the list of news groups on the
    news server. Am I wrong?
    Ilya

    ilyaz, Oct 5, 2007
  13. ilyaz

    VanguardLH Guest

    The idea is to redownload the messages. Each message gets a unique
    identifier (Message-ID header). If there was a change on the
    newsserver that caused the ID numbering to change, OE would be out of
    sync with the server. So redownloading the message headers would
    ensure you have the current IDs for each one.

    If resetting still shows lots of disk space consumed then you should
    try to compact after resetting. Deleted items are only marked as
    deleted in OE's databases. They don't get physically purged from the
    database files until they are compacted.

    Make sure you don't have anything interrogating your NNTP traffic,
    like some anti-malware program (anti-virus, anti-spyware, anti-spam).
    It could be screwing up the timing. Try rebooting into Windows' safe
    mode to see if you can get all the newsgroups in OE (reboot using safe
    mode w/networking).

    It could be a problem with your NNTP provider (who may not be the same
    as your ISP). If they don't report all the newsgroups that they carry
    when the NNTP client issues the LIST command then the NNTP client only
    gets what they give. You said that you already have an open ticket on
    reporting a loss of newsgroups count. Do you know if the count was
    significantly higher than the 30K groups that you get now?

    Could also be line noise. If you are using a cable/DSL modem, it
    probably has a status page to check receive & transmit signal
    strengths (try http://192.168.100.1/ to open the admin web server at
    the modem although you might have to use a different IP address). In
    a DOS shell, run "ping -n 100 www.yahoo.com" to check what is your
    average packet loss. Even if signal strength is good, noise or other
    networking problems that cause high packet loss will result in
    effectively increasing delay (due to resending the lost packets) which
    could make the NNTP client timeout.

    It is also possible that you have a corrupted OE identity but then the
    number of newsgroups that you do get seems rather high for a problem
    to show up that late. Try creating a new test identity and see if you
    can get further in the newsgroups list download under that identity.

    VanguardLH, Oct 5, 2007
  14. ilyaz

    thanatoid Guest

    Well, then everything's hunky-dory, inn't it? You are as safe as
    possible. After all, WLOC DID get one of the top safety ratings!
    Right. /chuckle/

    WHY don't you listen to good advice when you get it?

    I'll spell it out for you. IE/OE is a shit dangerous trojan-
    welcoming web browser. It is NOT a newsreader and it is a crappy
    bloated insecure email client.

    Get Opera, the best and safest browser, and whatever Usenet and
    email client you want, there are dozens of good ones and many
    are free.

    Now listen for a change instead of posting the same desperate
    cry for help. As long as you use IE/OE this is what will
    continue to happen. AND worse.

    thanatoid, Oct 5, 2007
  15. Aye. There it is.

    Blinky the Shark, Oct 5, 2007
  16. ilyaz

    Larry Guest

    OneCare or similar could be the problem. Enable the Windows native
    firewall then boot into safe mode with networking. Try it now. If it
    works without a hitch your suspect is security software.

    In Outlook Express: tools>options>maintenance tab. Place a check mark
    next to News(nntp) which will create a log.

    It could be a Supernews problem. I've seen similar symptoms using Pan,
    Knode, and Sylpheed so it can't automatically be blamed on the OS or one
    specific news reader.

    Larry, Oct 5, 2007
  17. ilyaz

    Sano Guest

    I don't know. Don't be surprised if people don't know what Usenet is
    though.

    Sano, Oct 5, 2007
  18. ilyaz

    Sano Guest

    Get Xnews. Try it out. Learn it. Read the manual. You can use any
    number of news clients you wish (usually limited to four concurrently
    on most servers).

    Outhouse "looks" like an email/ news client, but it's a freebie that M$
    has provided. They don't make a penny off of it, never have, so it's
    not anything they upgrade. And not much of a client.

    Sano, Oct 5, 2007
  19. I guess you've been under a rock. TOP POSTING IS ACCEPTED IN HERE.
    Don't try to be a newsgroup savior & change something that has been
    excepted for the nine or ten years I've been visiting this group.

    YOU look it up.

    Read here:

    http://24hrsupport.netfirms.com/aboutus.html

    [...]

    Another thing to consider when replying: people with vision problems
    often use "readers" to help them access content on the web. When you
    reply, if you place the reply before the original post, there will be
    less text for these people to sift through to get to the answer. This
    also makes it easier for the rest of us to find your reply. Also,
    consider "snipping" the parts of the original message to which you're
    not replying. Quoting an entire post to only comment on one paragraph
    is unnecessary (and quite rude).

    [...]

    SHEESH!!!!

    If it is that much of a stretch for you to comprehend posts that are
    top-posted, you can't be very much help in the first place, as it is
    a basic skill, in which you are sorely lacking.

    Either killfile top-posters, leave & don't let the door hit you in the
    ass as you exit, or STFU!!!

    @}-}-------Rosee, Oct 5, 2007
  20. ilyaz

    ilyaz Guest

    I have no problem with this. I redownloaded all the messages, but, of
    course, not those that were in the news group missing.
    Sure, I have Windows Live OneCare. I had it before when all the groups
    were available and worked fine. This WLOC does not interfere with any news
    group or any news server I may access.
    I'll try it soon.
    That's what I think. I presume that these groups were removed by server
    admin for some reason. However, I wonder, what could be the reason for
    removing subgroups in the soc.genealogy?
    No, I don't know. I'd presume it was higher, although don't know how
    much higher.

    Try creating a new test identity and see if you
    I'll try it if nothing else works...
    Thanks for your help.
    Ilya

    ilyaz, Oct 5, 2007