NFS over TCP via PIX firewall (Cisco contradicts itself)

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Perplexed, Aug 9, 2004.

  1. Perplexed

    Perplexed Guest

    Has anyone been able to use NFS over TCP via a Cisco PIX? Cisco
    contadicts itself on this issue.

    On the website at;

    http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/110/pixfaq.shtml

    Cisco states..
    -------------------------
    Q. I cannot get Network File System (NFS) mounts to work across the
    PIX. What am I doing wrong?

    A. The PIX does not support portmapper (port 111) over TCP. You should
    configure your NFS to use UDP instead.
    --------------------------

    but on the Cisco website at;

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products...em_message_guide_chapter09186a008008d2b2.html

    Cisco recommends using NFS over TCP througha PIX instead of NFS over
    UDP.

    Cisco states....
    ..... A noticeable exception is in a network environment with NFS
    over UDP; if this type of traffic is relayed through the PIX Firewall,
    consider using NFS over TCP instead.

    So... has anyone out there in the real world been able to get NFS over
    TCP to work through a PIX firewall?

    -Thnx

    Perplexed, Aug 9, 2004