NFS & Cisco PIX 6.3.3

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Jean-Michel Kaiser, Dec 19, 2004.

  1. Hello,

    I am deploying an HA made of PIX 535.

    From the document the customer has provided us with, we've got rules
    about NFS V1 & V2 servers needed to accessed through.

    My questions, could you tell me the diffrences between those NFS
    versions? What my ACL has to look like?

    Thank you very much,

    JMi

    Jean-Michel Kaiser, Dec 19, 2004

  2. :I am deploying an HA made of PIX 535.

    : From the document the customer has provided us with, we've got rules
    :about NFS V1 & V2 servers needed to accessed through.

    :My questions, could you tell me the diffrences between those NFS
    :versions? What my ACL has to look like?

    If that NFS V1 and NFS V2, or NFS V2 and NFS V3 ? I thought
    NFS V1 was pretty much dead.

    Ah, no wonder: V1 was an ad-hoc standard that Sun itself did not
    release as a product, though some other companies did (e.g.,
    Siemens for use on their systems, and several producers of NFS for
    PCs.)

    V2 was codified in RFC 1094; V3 as RFC 1813, V4 as RFC 3010.

    Generally speaking, you need tcp and udp ports 2049 (nfs),
    111 (sunrpc portmapper), and whatever port the portmapper
    dynamically assigns. In some implimentations you might be able to
    set the port statically.

    I also see that in at least some v2 versions (Sun's in particular)
    you can configure nfs to bypass the portmapper and use the
    'webnfs' protocol instead.

    Walter Roberson, Dec 19, 2004