    Word of Longhorn's new name began leaking to the Web on Thursday evening. One Windows site discovered that Microsoft registered the WindowsVista.US domain name. Microsoft is expected to make the official announcement of the new name on Friday morning.

    More from Microsoft Watch here.
    Odd name... Why Vista, do you think?

    Silverstrand, Jul 24, 2005

  2. Silverstrand

    PUTALE

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2005
    Messages:
    220
    Likes Received:
    0
    yeah, saw the news. I like longhorn better than vista.

    PUTALE, Jul 24, 2005

  3. Silverstrand

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    Same, they could at least be more orginal... like Windows X, the nex gen in windows!

    unholy, Jul 25, 2005
  4. Silverstrand

    Silverstrand

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2005
    Messages:
    1,949
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    I had really liked the rumored name of Windows neXt.

    Silverstrand, Jul 25, 2005
  5. Silverstrand

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    Or Windows Nexus! Next Universal System! :D

    unholy, Jul 26, 2005
  6. Silverstrand

    stlava

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2005
    Messages:
    126
    Likes Received:
    0
    The beta is suppose to come out on the 2nd of next month..

    stlava, Jul 30, 2005
  7. Silverstrand

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    3 days to go!

    unholy, Jul 30, 2005
  8. Silverstrand

    Silverstrand

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2005
    Messages:
    1,949
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    The beta already came out...
    Edit: "Microsoft has released beta 1 of its Windows Vista operating system.
    The software, formerly known under its codename Longhorn, is initially being made available to a select group of 10,000 technical testers via Microsoft's technical beta programme, a company spokeswoman told vnunet.com.
    It will then be made available to about half a million users and developers through Microsoft's MSDN developer network and the Technet programme for IT staff.
    The Vista beta has been offered to developers and corporate IT departments to allow them to test how the software interacts with other systems and applications inside their organisation.
    Although the test version does not yet include the final graphics and other features that will be most visible for end users, it does offer a view of new technologies under the hood.
    These include the Indigo web services technology that is now renamed Windows Communication Foundation, and the Avalon graphics engine which has been rebranded Windows Presentation Foundation.
    Windows Vista is scheduled for release late next year. A second beta is expected sometime in early 2006.
    Microsoft has also released test versions of Internet Explorer 7 and an early beta of Longhorn Server, the next-generation server operating system that will replace Windows Server 2003.
    Organisations intending to switch from Windows XP to Vista should limit their testing to the software's APIs, and not attempt to test new features or their functions, according to Michael Silver, research vice president with Gartner Research.
    "You should wait at least until beta 2, if not longer, before beginning testing in earnest," he said.
    Companies planning to jump from older versions of Windows directly to Vista have less time, Silver warned.
    Support from independent software vendors for older operating systems is likely to start waning by 2007, and Microsoft is scheduled to stop all bug fix support for Windows 2000 by mid-2010."

    Silverstrand, Jul 30, 2005
  9. Silverstrand

    PUTALE

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2005
    Messages:
    220
    Likes Received:
    0
    Maybe they should call it windows Y:)>

    PUTALE, Jul 30, 2005
  10. Silverstrand

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    stuff downloading that i have better time to put into the use of Linux :D
    mght test it out though!

    unholy, Jul 31, 2005
  11. Silverstrand

    CJRulz

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2005
    Messages:
    56
    Likes Received:
    0
    They should keep the windows names short ya know like xp, me, 95, 98 etc... so maybe this one should of been called tq... the 2 letters after xp, since it is the one afta xp n all

    CJRulz, Aug 13, 2005
  12. Silverstrand

    Flukemanguy

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    169
    Likes Received:
    0
    Your missing 2003 Server! lol It should be like Windows PV (pwnage version)

    Flukemanguy, Aug 13, 2005
  13. Silverstrand

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    Ummm *Bash* windows sucks!
    Its not like they are going to make it a heap better because it will be slow because its called windows. unfortunately Game Designers don't see that and they keep developing for it :p, not me, i will first make mine is windows, and if it suceeds then straight to linux its going :D

    unholy, Aug 14, 2005
  14. Silverstrand

    Flukemanguy

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    169
    Likes Received:
    0
    Yes I know it sucks, but I don't mean pwnage in they will pwn, its the version that people can pwn, like linux can pwn it with ease, get my drift?

    Flukemanguy, Aug 14, 2005
  15. Silverstrand

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    yes... i get your drift... but is it a good drift i don't know :| *runs away*

    unholy, Aug 14, 2005
  16. Silverstrand

    Flukemanguy

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    169
    Likes Received:
    0
    Don't worry! Its good, it brings lots of cheese :D

    Flukemanguy, Aug 14, 2005
  17. Silverstrand

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    Heard somethin about Longhorn, or Vista as its known now, its supposed to need a 4Ghz CPU and 1gig of ram MINIMUM? Is this true, or just some tool makin stuff up? Coz if it's true, what the hell can Vista do that needs that?

    XhArD, Aug 31, 2005
  18. Silverstrand

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    Well hes sorta a tool, your going to need a machine simalair to yours but your going too need that 1gig ram MINiMUM.... but as for the CPU i think it needs to be fairly decent, but i am basing all this off the First beta of LongHorn... ps its not a Gamers dream OS!!! its more of a Home Users OS :|

    unholy, Sep 1, 2005
  19. Silverstrand

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    ATI's website has a driver download section for Windows Vista drivers already :S whos gonna need them yet? :p

    XhArD, Sep 9, 2005
  20. Silverstrand

    RObErT_RaTh

    Joined: