Newsgroups

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Nicholas Stauffer, Mar 24, 2006.

  1. What is this helpdesk for????

    Nicholas Stauffer, Mar 24, 2006

  2. Nicholas Stauffer

    Evan Platt Guest

    Why not look through some of the pasts posts and get an idea?

    Evan Platt, Mar 24, 2006

  3. Nicholas Stauffer

    Jimchip Guest

    Or better:
    What is this helpdesk *not* for????
    (and it's good to learn the answer to that, which you can,
    by just reading the newsgroup for awhile).

    It turns out that it's not a 'helpdesk' like you think.

    One thing I know *for a fact* is that *24hoursupport.helpdesk*
    does show up (still) as the first group on many newsserver
    list(s).

    Jimchip, Mar 25, 2006
  4. Nicholas Stauffer

    vadbury Guest

    Hey Nick
    unfortunately this is one ng that you do not want to be using
    your default email account, nor your real name.
    I've munged the above details, but the bots will probably have
    got it by now..........

    vadbury, Mar 25, 2006
  5. Nicholas Stauffer

    Evan Platt Guest

    I see no problem with using my real name, however I wouldn't use my
    real e-mail address in ANY newsgroup.

    the bots don't harvest addresses from the body of messages, only the
    headers.

    Evan Platt, Mar 25, 2006
  6. Nicholas Stauffer

    Plato Guest

    hmmm.

    Plato, Mar 25, 2006
  7. Nicholas Stauffer

    Aardvark Guest

    Just remember that the NG name is heavily laced with large ladles full of
    irony :)

    Aardvark, Mar 25, 2006
  8. Everyone but you. Sorry!

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 25, 2006
  9. Nicholas Stauffer

    vadbury Guest

    Valid and accurate point, but as you will know there are others
    who will - for pure spite - "harvest" user names and addies......
    Alas it is all just trash online these days....................

    vadbury, Mar 25, 2006
  10. Nicholas Stauffer

    Vanguard Guest

    But not on all lists. Some have newsgroup names starting with "0"
    (zero), like "0.test".

    Vanguard, Mar 25, 2006
  11. Nicholas Stauffer

    Vanguard Guest

    What do YOU want it to be for????

    Vanguard, Mar 25, 2006
  12. Nicholas Stauffer

    Mandy Guest

    Theoreticaly anything.
    If you'd asked a non-I.T. question & someone had jumped on it saying that
    the question was [OT], people would have shit canned that response saying
    that this newsgroup was for anything. However because you asked the question
    directly, you will get a lot of stupid responses.

    Mandy, Mar 25, 2006
    endless amusement of those who actually know what is going on behind the scenery.

    [email protected], Mar 25, 2006
  14. Nicholas Stauffer

    gangle Guest

    gangle, Mar 25, 2006
  15. Nicholas Stauffer

    Scraggy Guest

    The other 8% may cover subjects such as broken tractors, burnt sausages and
    holes in the ground. There is the occasional IT related question.

    Scraggy, Mar 25, 2006
  16. Nicholas Stauffer

    gangle Guest

  17. Nicholas Stauffer