Newsgroups suddenly will not display messages

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by MaryL, May 23, 2005.

  1. MaryL

    MaryL Guest

    Any message I click on dated yesterday or today displays the message,
    "Message Could Not Be Displayed." For awhile, this was true of some
    newsgroups, but not all. All of this started yesterday; prior to that, I
    had no problems, and I routinely read a number of newsgroups every day.
    Within a few hours, *all* newsgroups reacted in this way. Messages dated
    earlier than yesterday still display correctly. Moreover, I can still
    *send* messages and I can see that the messages do appear.

    I don't know of anything that I could have done. Everything was fine
    yesterday morning, then a couple of hours later the problem showed up. I
    ran both Norton AV and AdAware SE -- no problems reported. I used System
    Resources to set the computer back to an earlier date -- that did not help.

    Does anyone have any ideas as to what is causing this problem and how to
    correct it? I am using Win XP-Home Edition and use Outlook Express 6 for
    the newsgroups. I tried Google and could read the messages that way, but
    that is too tedious and awkward for me to use it except to look up a
    specific message. I will use Google for any responses I get to this
    message -- or would greatly appreciate it if you can also send a copy to my
    email. The email address attached to this message is valid, except that you
    have to "take-out-the-litter."

    Thanks,
    MaryL

    MaryL, May 23, 2005

  2. MaryL

    Mike Easter Guest

    There are some other ways to tinker with that, but the most
    comprehensive fix is to reset your pointers.

    Select the newsgroup in the folder view, use File/ Properties/ Local
    file tab/ Reset button

    That will 'blast' all of the downloaded headers and bodies and there
    will be no headers downloaded. You are looking at an empty newsgroup
    folder/file. Then, you download however many headers you like. Your
    read vs unread is of course gone, you have a fresh start.

    Then, the messages you were having trouble with are all cleared up and
    accessible.

    Mike Easter, May 23, 2005

  3. MaryL

    WormWood Guest

    WormWood, May 23, 2005
  4. MaryL

    MaryL Guest

    Mike,

    I tried this, but it did not solve the problem. As someone else
    suggested, I used File/Properties, etc. by first clicking on the
    newsgroup, then following your suggestions. The did delete all of the
    headers. However, the problem remained once they were downloaded again
    -- that is, I can view older messages but not anything from the last 2
    days. I can't even reply to your message from within the newsgroup (so
    I am using Google instead) because reply is grayed-out (probably
    because the message itself can't be displayed).

    Is there anything else I can try??

    Thanks,
    MaryL

    MaryL, May 23, 2005
  5. MaryL

    Mike Easter Guest

    The right click works, in fact the right click method you describe is
    the one I usually use. The file/ properties also works in the view and
    selection which I'm trying to describe. Perhaps I didn't communicate it
    effectively.

    The important elements for us to have in common if we are going to
    discuss a view are based on the View menu/ Layout configuration.

    When I say 'folder view' - what I'm 'requiring' is that the View menu/
    Layout configuration includes 'Folder list' checked. That results in
    there being a left pane which shows the 'folders' and those folders are
    going to display the newsgroup in question under the news server in
    question..

    For my file/properties to work requires that in that view that the
    newsgroup be selected.

    Mike Easter, May 23, 2005
  6. MaryL

    Mike Easter Guest

    If I'm understanding you correctly and you have reset your pointers and
    have downloaded all of the available messages from your providers
    newsserver....

    .... wait. Let's be sure of that. Your first message in the thread
    shows you using OE. If you enable your OE's status bar in View menu/
    Layout/ check Status bar -- then you will be able to get/see a little
    more information from your provider's news server. We need to be sure
    you are downloading all/enough of the available messages from Cox.

    The number of messages you download at a time is configurable. Maybe it
    is 100, mine is sometimes 300, sometimes 1000. The point is that if you
    are trying to look 'back' you have to have downloaded sufficient
    messages with the Tools menu/ Get next xxx messages function.

    So, if your status bar is enabled, you can see how many messages you
    haven't downloaded. The status bar is located down at the bottom of the
    OE window in many different views. The typical layout is xxx messages,
    xxx unread, xxx not downloaded if ther are unread or nondownloaded
    messages in the configuration.

    The next scenario we'll tend to is the possibility that your provider's
    newsserver doesn't have the messages.

    Mike Easter, May 23, 2005
  7. MaryL

    MaryL Guest

    I already have status bar enabled. For 24hoursupport, the status bar
    shows 3005 messages, 2983 unread, 13311 not downloaded. As an
    experiment, I selected Tools/get next 1000 messages. The number of
    messages changed to 4005 -- but messages for the last 2 days still
    would not display (although the titles were listed). For example, I
    can see this thread but cannot read it because I get the "message could
    not be displayed" message. I *can* display (read) messages dated
    5/21/05 and earlier. At one time, I did configure OE for the number of
    messages to be downloaded (but must admit that I can't remember how I
    did that and haven't been able to locate the setting).

    Your comment about th possibility that my provider's newsserver doesn't
    have the messages makes me wonder if the problem is with Cox. I
    earlier said that I have this problem will all of my newsgroups.
    However, I took another look at the list, and I actually have 4
    accounts -- cnews.corel.com, msnews.microsoft.com, news.cerious.com,
    and news.cox-internet.com. I use Cox far more often than the others
    and most of my newsgroups are listed there. In re-checking, I see that
    the problem I described exists with *all* of the Cox newsgroups but
    does not occur with the other three.

    MaryL

    MaryL, May 23, 2005
  8. MaryL

    MaryL Guest

    Thanks for the heads up. I think your last sentence has put me on the
    right track. I just called Cox, and the woman I spoke to told me that
    Cox has been having trouble with their server for the last 2 days. So,
    it appears that I simply have to wait for them to make whatever
    corrections are neede and the problem is with Cox rather than with my
    setup. (Incidentally, can you direct me to the location where I was
    able to configure OE to download a certain number of messages at a
    time? I did that in the past but now cannot locate it.)

    Thanks!
    MaryL

    MaryL, May 23, 2005
  9. MaryL

    gangle Guest

    Who are you talking to?

    Tools > Options > Send tab > check "Include
    message in reply"
    Tools > Options > Read tab > Get XXX headers at a time.

    gangle, May 23, 2005
  10. MaryL

    MaryL Guest

    I was responding to Mike Easter. However, I don't normally use Google
    to respond to messages -- so, based on your question, it's possible my
    message did not align as I expected.

    MaryL

    MaryL, May 23, 2005
  11. MaryL

    Mike Easter Guest

    You might want to consider having alternate news service for helping to
    troubleshoot news problems and when your provider's news is sick.

    There are a number of free and nearly free news servers around. That's
    much better than dealing with google for news.

    Mike Easter, May 23, 2005
  12. MaryL

    MaryL Guest

    Thanks. Which one(s) would you recommend? Google really is cumbersome
    for this process..

    MaryL

    MaryL, May 23, 2005
  13. Good luck. She's posting through G2.

    Blinky the Shark, May 23, 2005
  14. MaryL

    Mike Easter Guest

    I've never done it, but I've seen others describe not only being able to
    cite, but also to be able to trim. I'll have to go try it out.

    Mike Easter, May 23, 2005
  15. MaryL

    Mike Easter Guest

    I haven't tried a lot of free newsservers, but I like
    news.readfreenews.net. The other ones that I've tinkered with are
    free.teranews.com, news.shared-secrets.com, news.x-privat.org, and
    news.aioe.org

    Sebastien Willemijns website is informative about the alternate
    newsservers. English is not his first language, but the information
    there is pretty good -- see the part near the bottom of the page
    http://www.nntpeng.willemijns.com/

    He also has links to the signups there.

    Mike Easter, May 23, 2005
  16. It can be done.

    Blinky the Shark, May 23, 2005
  17. MaryL

    mike.easter Guest

    There are two different ways to do it. You can show options before you
    hit reply, or you can reply and then preview.

    It also lacks a sig function and some confusion in the appearance of
    the wrapping.

    mike.easter, May 23, 2005