Newsgroups showing only partial files even after waiting a coupledays. -please read inside-

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Atari2600, Jan 31, 2006.

  1. Atari2600

    Atari2600 Guest

    I've noticed over the course of the past few weeks that usenet on my end has become increasingly more scattered in regards to full files being posted.
    Sometimes only a handful of an RAR set will show up and more times than not,
    just the Par files themselves. I usually just wait a day or two thinking my ISP
    will update and all of them will show but now all I get are just par files.

    Does anyone have any suggestions? I came to the conclusion my
    ISP might be blocking files in an attempt to curb "illegal" downloading
    although from what I've noticed. Its happening
    In legitimate shareware groups as well. Has anyone else had this happen?
    I've reinstalled my newsgroup reader but that did not help either. As well
    as made sure I was on the correct usenet server for my ISP.

    Any help or suggestions or even opinions would be appreciated as
    My ISP at one point in time DID have an awesome usenet server.
    If it helps I am on the east coast and using Cox as my ISP.

    Thank you all in Advance :) - Atari2600

    Atari2600, Jan 31, 2006

  2. Atari2600

    Mike Easter Guest

    Atari2600 wrote:

    Get two or more alternate newsservers -- free, almost free, and/or pure
    commercial NSP.
    General ISPs are progressively abandoning trying to keep up with
    adequate admin and resource overhead of the overwhelming activity
    associated with full coverage of the binary groups.

    It doesn't make economic sense for a general ISP to keep up with what
    kinds of effect a goodly number of broadband binary uploaders and
    downloaders can put on the system and what kinds of space requirements
    the binaries can absorb. The results are incompletes or worse.

    It only makes sense for a commercial NSP who makes more money from
    selling more access. If you are a serious binary downloader, you are
    going to have to have a lot of different kinds of strategies to keep
    from spending too much time trying to get it free. Throwing a
    commercial NSP into the mix of provider + free will solve a lot of fill
    problems.

    My provider EL's news has gone to the dogs.

    Mike Easter, Jan 31, 2006

  3. Atari2600

    Mrs Trellis Guest

    I'm not in the same country as you. However, wannadoo (ex-freeserve) in GB
    has a poor news group coverage. In the indie mp3's group (as well as 2000's
    etc) the parts were always missing. When I switched to another ISP I found
    out what I had been missing.

    A change is as good as a rest they say.

    Mrs T

    Mrs Trellis, Jan 31, 2006
  4. Atari2600

    me Guest

    I think that Cox are deliberately letting their news service rot so that
    people will stop using it so they can stop it altogether.You could get more
    info in cox.internet.discussion.newsgroups I have all 3 Cox servers with
    my Cox account and they are all crap,so I basically stopped using them and
    now i use Astraweb instead.They have unlimited downloads for $15/mo and $25
    for 90 gigs download,one off payment.They have other plans too,and retention
    rate is good. http://news.astraweb.com

    me, Feb 1, 2006