    have done that and this and earthlink sucks will be forwarded to the
    vatican, anyone willing to send me my daily fix of newsgroup porno via a CD
    by US mail will be favorably mentioned in my will.

    Ray Donzdorf, Jan 30, 2004

  2. @}-}-------Rosee, Jan 30, 2004

  3. Ray Donzdorf

    Boomer Guest

    [snip]

    Read through these groups:
    alt.binaries.news-server-comparison
    alt.free.newsservers

    Boomer, Jan 30, 2004
  4. Yup I'd second that. Especially after using Virgin Net's abysmal Sinclair
    ZX81 based news-server.

    michael turner, Jan 30, 2004
  5. Ray Donzdorf

    Willy Skass Guest

    On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 00:26:32 GMT, "Ray Donzdorf"

    SNIP SNIP SNIP
    I'm using Athena News www.athenanews.com and while it isn't
    free, it's not bad. They have 3 plans: 1gigabyte d/l per day for
    $5.95 a month; 2 gigs a day for $9.95 a month; and 5 gigs a day for
    $19.95 a month. They go on a month to month basis. Or, you can pay
    for six or twelve months and get some decent discounts.

    Retention rate is good, and what I really like about them is the group
    count, they currently have 133,264 groups available.

    BTW: I am not affiliated with them in any way other than being a
    satisfied customer.

    Willy Skass, Jan 30, 2004
  6. Ray Donzdorf

    [ Doc Jeff ] Guest

    Very sorry to hear that. Earthlink's newsgroup server(s) flat-out
    suck. There is no question of this.
    I haven't been with them in almost a year but it sounds like the same
    old crap to me. Tell me, are they still hiding behind that "newstest2"
    crap? You know - the server that has been being upgraded for years...
    Bah.
    Take your pick. If you can afford it, Giganews is probably the best,
    but they charge based on usage (say, 6GB/month for $xx) You probably
    won't find NSP that'll give you unlimited access at your top speed.
    I have issues with Earthlink that don't even account for their
    piss-poor newsgroup (lack of)service... I do feel your pain.
    Oddly enough, that is possible if you're willing to pay. I've seen
    adverts for it in (ahem) Usenet groups :)

    [ Doc Jeff ], Jan 30, 2004
  7. Ray Donzdorf

    Nick Guest

    Athenanews is the worst newsgroup service out there. I had them for a
    month as I'm looking for a new service (usenet.com is awful nowadays)
    and while 5 gigs per day is good, there is no way to download that
    much as most files end up missing!

    Stay away from this service!

    Nick, Feb 9, 2004