    download, but down in the bottom window, its just a grabled bunch of junk. I
    cant figure out how to get the videos to play, OR how to download them to
    say my desktop. Can someone help me?

    Jason Blankenship, Nov 7, 2003

  2. Jason Blankenship

    Bill Guest

    Could be binary files, in which case you will need a binary decoder. I
    don't use one so can't make any recommendations.

    Bill

    Bill, Nov 7, 2003

  3. Jason Blankenship

    trout Guest

    You need to "Combine and Decode". You can get the basics in the
    help-files (F1). But it's a pain in the ass, and you'd still need a
    third-party utility if they're in a format like yEnc.
    Do yourself a big favour, and use a different reader that
    *automatically* does all this for you. Even if you only use it for
    binary downloads, you'll save yourself a *lot* of trouble.
    My preference for this is Xhttp://xnews.newsguy.com/

    trout, Nov 7, 2003
  4. Jason Blankenship

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    Do yourself a big favour, and use a different reader that
    I second this. I use OE for non-binary groups (ones that you can't - er,
    shouldn't - post attachments to...like this one), and I use XNews for binary
    groups. There was one I liked a while back called Newsleecher. It was still
    in its beta stage last time I used it, but it was shaping up to be a nice
    program. But I do like XNews, it's great for binaries - although I do find
    it a tad akward for non-binary groups.

    Ken Briscoe, Nov 7, 2003
  5. Jason Blankenship

    ilmc Guest

    Jason Blankenship typed:
    To reinforce trout and ken, Xnews also decodes "yenc", which many vids are
    encoded in (bad English, but you should get the drift) ;-)

    ilmc, Nov 7, 2003
  6. Jason Blankenship

    Professor Guest

    You need to download the whole series and then highlight them all,
    rightclick and give the command combine and decode.

    Professor, Nov 8, 2003
  7. Jason Blankenship

    gangle Guest

    To assemble a multi-part post using Outlook Express,
    click part 1, then, while holding down the Ctrl key,
    click each of the remaining parts. When you have
    highlighted the last part, Right click and choose
    "Combine and Decode." Make sure all parts are in
    order in the window that pops up, then click "OK."
    When all parts have downloaded and been decoded,
    a window will appear with the File Icon in the
    bottom left corner (OE4) or in the "Attach"
    line (OE5 & 6). Right click on the icon, choose
    "save as" and, within the browser window that
    appears, choose "Desktop" as the place to initially
    save it. If you want to keep it, you can later CUT and
    PASTE it from Desktop to any folder you want.

    IMPORTANT NOTE: In OE4 it is possible to download
    a multi-part binary while simultaneously reading or
    posting to other NGs, or reading/sending email -- But:
    in the "upgraded" OE5 & 6, downloading a multi-part file
    makes the program UNUSABLE for most other functions
    while the process goes on; so, if you frequently want to
    download multi-part binary files, it's more practical
    to use a dedicated news reading and posting program,
    such as Agent ("Full" Agent @ $29 -- NOT Free Agent):
    http://www.forteinc.com/agent/index.htm
    or Xnews (free):
    http://xnews.newsguy.com/
    or Gravity (free):
    http://lightning.prohosting.com/~tbates/gravity/start1.html
    for downloading binaries.
    Also, for $35, there is Newsbin, which is strictly
    for downloading binaries:
    http://www.newsbin.com/ .
    You could still use OE5 or 6 as an email program
    and to view/post to text-only NGs, while using one of
    the above programs to retrieve binaries.

    yEnc is a type of binary to text encoding that has much
    less "overhead" than Uuencoded files.
    Note: OE does not internally decode yEnc messages.
    You must use a third-party program to acheive this,
    the easiest being yProxy:
    http://www.brawnylads.com/software/

    Again, I suggest that, for binaries, it would be more
    practical to just switch to one of the dedicated newsreaders
    mentioned above, which all handle yEnc internally.

    RAR files are (usually) large multimedia type of files (.avi,
    ..mpg, .mov, .rm, etc.) that have been archived and split into
    parts. You need WinRar to reassemble the archive and
    decompress it. http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm
    (shareware, but always usable, even after the trial period).

    gangle, Nov 8, 2003