News: "U.S. Jobless Claims Tumble to 328,000"

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by TechGeekPro, Apr 8, 2004.

  1. TechGeekPro

    JaR Guest

    Politician Spock opined, On 4/9/04 9:24 AM:
    Point proven;

    60% of all companies have paid NO taxes since 1989!*

    *source;http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/business/national/8370885.htm?1c

    and;

    " Comcast Corp.'s $56 billion bid for Walt Disney Co. and the $41
    billion takeover of AT&T Wireless by Cingular Wireless re"

    and;

    http://www.npg.org/popfacts.htm

    and one more, read the whole article, but;

    "The increase in part-time work may be reflected in the payroll numbers,
    which showed a 0.1% decrease in average weekly hours last month. In
    fact, even with the large net increase of employment last month, the
    number of total hours worked in the labor market actually fell slightly,
    meaning more workers are working fewer hours than last month."

    http://www.epinet.org/content.cfm/webfeatures_econindicators_jobspict

    or;

    http://data.notlong.com

    Need more?

    JaR
    Data Thug

    JaR, Apr 9, 2004

  2. Pardon my ignorance, but I fail to see how these equate to "data that shows
    the economy in rare danger of complete collapse". Companies that pay taxes
    just pass that expense on to the customers. It's an economic wash. Corporate
    takeovers occur all the time, but unless you are pointing out monopolies or
    other unfair practices, what is it about these takeovers that puts us in
    "rare danger". Population growth can have a serious effect, but what is
    about its recent trend that puts us in "rare danger" where we haven't been
    in danger in past population growth? As for "0.1% decrease in average weekly
    hours last month" and "the number of total hours worked in the labor market
    actually fell slightly", small changes occur all the time in these numbers.
    What is about these recent small changes that put us in "rare danger"?

    Politician Spock, Apr 9, 2004

  3. TechGeekPro

    JaR Guest

    Politician Spock opined, On 4/9/04 10:27 AM:
    It's out there, if you could be arsed to look. the link I posted
    previously is only one of many. When they talk of "Service sector" jobs,
    they are referring to these very jobs! There was a time when working for
    a national retailer like Sears or J.C. Penny meant a respectable salary,
    benefits, and a nice retirement package. Now it means minimum wage or
    slightly better, part-time, lousy hours, and no benefits. The retailer I
    worked for kept full timers to less than 25% of total number of employees.
    On this, we agree wholheartedly, but it is only a part of the problem.
    Another pressure on prices is the huge number of uninsured that show up
    in emegency rooms. The hospitals are obligated to treat them and the
    cost is passed on to compensate. Even when welfare picks up the tab, the
    cost is still passed on to the taxpayer! Why are there so many
    uninsured? It's beyond most family's means on the one hand, and the
    country is filled with undocumented aliens that would not buy insurance
    if they could. Why is it so expensive? ta da ta da... round and round.
    Horsepucky! The percentages spent on actual R&D is a small part of the
    sale price. Since you want data, see:

    http://www.actupny.org/reports/drugcosts.html

    and;

    http://www.aaf.org/government/legislative_20020715_tp.html

    and, if you need more;

    http://www.aegis.com/news/bar/2001/BR010710.html

    You're merely spewing the lobbiests favorite line.
    By the economists definitions the economy IS up! Marginally. I do indeed
    go by a different set of definitions. I define an increasing economy as
    one where good paying jobs are there for those that want them, and
    healthcare is available at a cost concurrent with the capability for
    payment of the average schmoe. Hardly utopian, and certainly attainable.
    And yet again, who cares? There are always those that don't want jobs.
    There are those that earn a living but don't exist in the reports as
    they never pay taxes, etc.
    The unemployment rate only reflects registered job seekers. ie; people
    collecting unemployment, for the most part. It is only a partial
    indicator of the overall job market. An individual that loses a
    full-time living wage position, and gets rehired in a part-time McJob,
    is not unemployed. A person who has exhausted their benefits but is
    still without a job is, according to the govt, not unemployed.

    Grrrr... I pity the fool that brings up politics later today after
    beer-thirty at the club!

    JaR
    Riled Thug

    JaR, Apr 9, 2004
  4. TechGeekPro

    JaR Guest

    Politician Spock opined, On 4/9/04 11:16 AM:
    You are, of course, pardoned.
    The data is cumulative. There is no one report that indictes the above.
    I am pleased that you so appreciated my use of the term "rare danger".
    The sole point to that reference was to point out that the companies'
    shown growth did not, in most cases, benefit the country as a whole.
    Thus, whatever percentage of the GNP that is affected by their
    machinations, is merely smoke and mirrors.
    The part that should alarm any sentient being is that there are not
    services in place to support the growth. More stress is put upon the
    average woking joe (or josephine) to support those unable to support
    themselves. The trend, however, is far from recent. We have always
    experienced incredible growth. That growth, however, is exponential, and
    resourses, as well as jobs and services, are finite.

    As for "0.1% decrease in average weekly
    Again, these 'small changes' are neither recent nor rare. They are
    rather the latest in a trend that has been in effect for many years.
    Within memory are times when a single wage earner supported a family,
    sent chidren to college, and was able to afford basic heathcare. These
    concepts sound utopian, now. You zero in on one datum and proclaim "What
    is about these recent small changes that put us in "rare danger"?" The
    answer is: Nothing. Taken in context of the larger picture, an alarming
    trend indeed emerges.

    Oh, boy. You've got the old corpuscles coursin' now buddy!

    C'mon Beer-thirty!

    JaR
    Sober Thug

    JaR, Apr 9, 2004
  5. TechGeekPro

    Jtyc Guest

    Within memory are times when a single wage earner supported a family,

    More people could do that if they would stop buying crap they don't need and
    stop burying themselves in debt. Self control and selflessness are not
    traits commonly found anymore from what I've seen.

    Jtyc, Apr 9, 2004
  6. TechGeekPro

    Consultant Guest

    yeah, like toy haulers, atv's & rv's
    :-|

    Consultant, Apr 9, 2004
  7. TechGeekPro

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    That would simply be un-American! What would the fat stupid American do
    without his credit card bills, his 56" TV, her trips to the tanning booth,
    little Timmy's endless supply of wiffleballs and Pokemon cards, and that
    motorcycle in the garage he got "cheap" that he keeps saying he's going to
    fix up and put back on the road? Yeah, he'd be lost.

    You're right, Jtyc, but unfortunately self-control is not an option. This is
    the United States of American Idol. We're fat, lazy, and stupid.*

    * On average.

    Ken Briscoe, Apr 9, 2004
  8. More people could do that if they would stop buying crap they don't need and
    I would agree.

    We live in a society which has become more and more greedy. I'm not
    sure how any government would be able to tackle the problems
    associated with such a society. I mean what would happen if tighter
    credit controls were introduced? Any government thinktank would see
    that as a sure way to lose votes.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Apr 9, 2004
  9. TechGeekPro

    JaR Guest

    Jtyc opined, On 4/9/04 11:48 AM:
    Absolutely. The consumerism rampant in this country is apalling. The
    fact that many are using their homes as credit cards by using the cheap
    refinancing every lender is touting is insane as well. Yet another brick
    in the wall of the economy that is eroding.

    However, the fact remains that for many, supporting oneself on one job
    is difficult if not impossible. Supporting a family is out of the
    question for many with only one wage earner.

    This keeps up, I may change my sig to 'Politician JaR' ;-)

    JaR
    Argumentative Thug

    JaR, Apr 9, 2004
  10. You're right, Jtyc, but unfortunately self-control is not an option. This is
    Jtyc is right and so are you, that's the sad part about it...

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Apr 9, 2004
  11. Absolutely. The consumerism rampant in this country is apalling. The
    I would love to see the results of this in ten or twenty years time.
    The economic stats would make 'interesting' reading.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Apr 9, 2004
  12. TechGeekPro

    Jtyc Guest

    yeah, like toy haulers, atv's & rv's
    Exactly. Or new homes with pools.

    Jtyc, Apr 9, 2004
  13. TechGeekPro

    Jtyc Guest

    This keeps up, I may change my sig to 'Politician JaR' ;-)

    Oh heavens no. Perhaps a timeshare program?

    Jtyc, Apr 9, 2004
  14. TechGeekPro

    Jtyc Guest

    You're right, Jtyc, but unfortunately self-control is not an option. This
    is
    You forgot arrogant.

    Jtyc, Apr 9, 2004
  15. Again, as Jtyc said in another post, this is a natural occurence. At one
    time retail jobs were considered career jobs. As more and more people became
    qualified to work these jobs at Sears and J.C. Penny the pay decreases. They
    are now entry level jobs. It's not a result of bad government. It's called
    supply and demand. It's the same thing that happened to the MCSE. It used to
    be something that could get you a great job. Now it just gets you entry
    level. I don't blame the government for it. I blame [email protected],
    bootcampers, and people like Paisely Skye who are more than willing to flood
    the market with more MCSE's than it needs.
    "Free" health insurance is passed on to the tax payer as well, so basically
    it would cost the same as a public health care system (unless other changes
    we suggest are made). 40% of the country doesn't pay taxes, so the 60% that
    do are going to pay for those without insurance in the current system
    through higher prices, or pay for those without insurance thought taxes.
    Again, what government solution would make it cheaper for an American to get
    health care other than reducing the overhead associated with providing
    health care.
    Are you insinuating that these companies don't develope new drugs? Who is
    then?
    I believe communism looks good on paper, but it has shown to fail in
    practice. I'd say the same holds true to the case you make.
    There are people who pay no taxes but file to claim up to $4K in earned
    income credit. Should we take them out of the report as well?
    A part-time fast food worker still quailifies for unemployment, just not all
    of it. They don't show up as unemployed only if they choose not to claim the
    unemployment benefits they are entitled to.
    I agree. Beer is a necessity at this point.

    Politician Spock, Apr 9, 2004
  16. Perhaps due to the fact that such a report couldn't hold water.

    Politician Spock, Apr 9, 2004
  17. TechGeekPro

    Neil Guest

    who would forget arrogant ;)

    Neil, Apr 9, 2004
  18. Ah, I stand corrected. I forgot the creed of our country: "We hold these
    truths to be self evident: that all men are created equal; that they are
    endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these
    are life, liberty, and freedom from difficult finances."

    Politician Spock, Apr 9, 2004
  19. TechGeekPro

    Jtyc Guest

    who would forget arrogant ;)

    Certainly not myself.

    Jtyc, Apr 9, 2004
  20. TechGeekPro

    JaR Guest

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere opined, On 4/9/04 12:09 PM:
    I fear we will see the results in far shorter than ten years. I hope I'm
    wrong though.

    JaR
    Pessimistic Thug

    JaR, Apr 9, 2004