News: "U.S. Jobless Claims Tumble to 328,000"

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by TechGeekPro, Apr 8, 2004.

  1. TechGeekPro

    JaR Guest

    Jtyc opined, On 4/8/04 12:37 PM:
    hehheheh heheheh! He said a hole! heheh heheh!

    Nobody but you keeps bringing up the tech sector as the sole economic
    indicator.

    JaR, Apr 8, 2004

  2. TechGeekPro

    billyw Guest

    i thought it was funny

    billyw, Apr 8, 2004

  3. TechGeekPro

    billyw Guest

    ok thats fair enough..

    <runs around doing the 1 finger in the air thing> no not that one...

    billyw, Apr 8, 2004
  4. For a sole economic indicator, the best choice is GDP, which by the way grew
    4.1% the last three months of 2003 and is being projected to be 4.5% in the
    first three months of 2004.

    Politician Spock, Apr 8, 2004
  5. TechGeekPro

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    I got the joke.
    Suck up.

    Ken Briscoe, Apr 8, 2004
  6. TechGeekPro

    TechGeekPro Guest

    "The economy as a hole..."
    Well said.

    TechGeekPro, Apr 8, 2004
  7. TechGeekPro

    JaR Guest

    Jtyc opined, On 4/8/04 12:43 PM:
    OIC! And when I ask _you_ to cite your sources, that does not mean
    anything.

    I base my 'guarantee' on experience. I was around in the early eighties.
    In fact, had my Real Estate license at the time. I saw homes on every
    block that were purchased during the boom of the '70s that were
    unsaleable. I saw forclosures on every front from people that were
    unable to refinance at the higher rates. Every month people would say,
    just hold on, the rates can't get much higher, we'll be okay! And guess
    what? the rates got higher. Don't remember now where they topped out,
    but it was in the teens! Not saying that it will be as bad this time,
    but with the saturation and overvaluation of the housing market, the
    dollar sinking against world currencies, and the mounting trade
    imbalances, an adjustment is overdue!

    JaR
    Financial Thug

    JaR, Apr 8, 2004
  8. TechGeekPro

    Neil Guest

    must have been screwed up in the English to Neil translation...

    Neil, Apr 8, 2004
  9. Huh?

    Vigo Breadcrumbs, Apr 8, 2004
  10. TechGeekPro

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    Are you sure it's a growing job base that's producing this? Maybe it's just
    that people are working harder (hence, increasing output), for fear of
    losing their job to outsourcing (or to their neighbor - it doesn't much
    matter). I know I'm capable of working 4.1% harder than I already do. If I
    couldn't work any harder, I wouldn't be hanging out here in mpce.mcse,
    right?

    I can't tell if I'm serious or kidding, so let's assume I'm serious - for
    the sake of argument.

    Ken Briscoe, Apr 8, 2004
  11. TechGeekPro

    JaR Guest

    Politician Spock opined, On 4/8/04 1:13 PM:
    Probably. But not an accurate view of the total picture. for example,
    Comcast Corp.'s $56 billion bid for Walt Disney Co. and the $41 billion
    takeover of AT&T Wireless by Cingular Wireless reflect in the GNP to the
    tune of $97 Billion that really does nothing. The net effest? Jobs lost
    through restructuring.

    Keep it in perspective.

    JaR
    Focused Thug

    JaR, Apr 8, 2004

  12. From U.S. Department of Labor Bureau of Labor Statistics
    (http://data.bls.gov)

    Series Id: LNS12000000Seasonal Adjusted
    Series title: (Seas) Employment Level
    Labor force status: Employed
    Type of data: Number in thousands
    Age: 16 years and over

    Sep 03 137644
    Oct 03 138095
    Nov 03 138533
    Dec 03 138479
    Jan 04 138566
    Feb 04 138301
    Mar 04 138298

    Looks to me like the number of employed has gone up 654,000 in the last 6
    months.

    Politician Spock, Apr 8, 2004

  13. These actions occur in a good or bad economy. It's a wash when viewing
    growth.

    Politician Spock, Apr 8, 2004
  14. TechGeekPro

    Jtyc Guest

    Nobody but you keeps bringing up the tech sector as the sole economic
    I have never said the tech sector is doing well or not doing well. You are
    thinking of Mr. Spock.

    Jtyc, Apr 8, 2004
  15. TechGeekPro

    Jtyc Guest

    "The economy as a hole..."
    My apologies.

    Jtyc, Apr 8, 2004
  16. TechGeekPro

    Jtyc Guest

    OIC! And when I ask _you_ to cite your sources, that does not mean
    I will come up with the sources again if needs be. Last time I did that
    however, no one believed a word of it.

    Jtyc, Apr 8, 2004
  17. TechGeekPro

    TechGeekPro Guest

    I'm listening.

    TechGeekPro, Apr 8, 2004
  18. Yeahbut...

    It's generally accepted by both conservative and liberal economists that
    the U.S. economy needs to add about 175000 jobs per month to keep up
    with the increasing working age population (increasing through
    population growth and immigration), i.e. to keep the unemployment rate
    from going up.

    As long as the gap between the number of people looking for work and
    available jobs continues to grow, the positive effect of added jobs gets
    muted by the substantial downward pressure on wages.

    The 308000 jobs added last month is the first time since January, 2001,
    I believe that the U.S. exceeded the break-even number. At that rate,
    it will be 2008 before we make up the defecit. It's also notable that
    the unemployment rate increased 0.1% even though we added more than a
    break-even number of jobs.

    So yes, more jobs is good, but then again, so is losing your legs
    compared to losing your head.

    Vigo Breadcrumbs, Apr 8, 2004
  19. TechGeekPro

    JaR Guest

    Vigo Breadcrumbs opined, On 4/8/04 1:34 PM:
    From the AOLers' habit of replying to a post with a cascade of 'me
    too's. Ergo; AOL = 'me too!'

    Furrfu. And we thought you were well read!

    JaR
    Informative Thug

    JaR, Apr 8, 2004
  20. TechGeekPro

    JaR Guest

    Politician Spock opined, On 4/8/04 2:00 PM:
    Not neccesarily a wash. The effect is unpredictable. All I intended to
    point out is, that the GNP would be a more accurate measure of the
    welfare of the economy if these sorts of transactions were not counted.
    They can skew the GNP dramatically, without affecting the overall health
    of things. Growth MUST be measured in relation to the earning power of
    the average individual, or it is meaningless. What good the effect of a
    corporation that has a 10% increase in profits, but a net loss in
    domestic employment? GNP up, but economy down, right? It sure hasn't
    help with taxes paid to the government. 60% of all companies have paid
    NO taxes since 1989!*

    *source;http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/business/national/8370885.htm?1c

    or;

    http://ripoff.notlong.com