    (news.individual.net and news.eternal-september.org) except for username
    and password, which are unique to the latter respective servers. I don't
    really need this server, but I want to find out what I am doing wrong.

    Emrys Davies, Feb 21, 2010

  2. Emrys Davies

    Emrys Davies Guest

    Give me a clue. I cannot see it. Except that I have Win7 Home Premium.

    Emrys Davies, Feb 22, 2010

  3. Emrys Davies

    chuckcar Guest

    The *actual* full message you get is what?

    You mention a email/news program - Windows mail and then two servers you *say*
    work, but then you mention the microsoft server. I just created a new server in
    my news programs and got the 1772 groups no problem. I would guess it's a DNS problem
    with your ISP - it happens quite a bit. I don't use mine any more and haven't for
    years.

    chuckcar, Feb 22, 2010
  4. Emrys Davies

    Whiskers Guest

    [...]

    You haven't said *precisely* what you are entering as the address of the
    server; I suspect that is where the error arises.

    It appears that no login or athentication is needed to use that server,
    and the newsgroup concerned is present and active if this session is any
    guide:

    $ telnet msnews.microsoft.com nntp
    Trying 207.46.248.16...
    Connected to msnews.microsoft.com (207.46.248.16).
    Escape character is '^]'.
    200 NNTP Service 6.0.3790.3959 Version: 6.0.3790.3959 Posting Allowed
    GROUP microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop
    211 5827 485526 493121 microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop
    HEAD 493121
    221 493121 <>
    From: "Bruce Hagen" <>
    Subject: Re: Windows Live Menu and options
    Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 18:28:33 -0800
    Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop
    ..
    QUIT
    205 closing connection - goodbye!
    Connection closed by foreign host.
    $

    Whiskers, Feb 22, 2010
  5. Emrys Davies

    Dan C Guest

    Windows7 sucks dick on horseback. Just like every other version of
    windoze ever produced. Dump that bullshit and install Linux, and start
    enjoying your computer again.

    Dan C, Feb 22, 2010
  6. Emrys Davies

    Emrys Davies Guest

    Now you are being helpful and thanks. My mistake was to use
    news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop when
    adding a newsgroup account rather than msnews.microsoft.com. The latter
    works perfectly, but I prefer the all enveloping news.individual.net. I
    thought of letting my wife use the msnews.microsoft.com account but it is
    quite restrictive in its provision of news groups and I will probably get
    another news.individual.net account for her. It is 10 euro per year per
    account and very effective.

    Emrys Davies, Feb 22, 2010

  7. msnews.microsoft.com are all big dull fat smelly poopieheds.

    Use Astranews... buy a once-off for ~10 pesos, [thats about
    600 burritos in Mexico away from the tourist towns[ but it
    will last you for decades if you only use text groups.
    They don't even charge you for downloading headers or
    updating newly added newsgroups.

    http://www.news.astraweb.com/

    Plus, you can access any number of their servers, like one for each
    member of your harem, if you like... and each one of these, you can
    clone as many times as you like, up to 50 connections, at once [with
    a proper newsreader].

    General Server: news.astraweb.com

    European Server: eu.news.astraweb.com

    US Server: us.news.astraweb.com

    Ports: 119, 23, 1818 or 8080

    Secure Servers:

    ssl.astraweb.com Ports 443 or 563

    ssl-eu.astraweb.com Ports 443 or 563 (European)

    ssl-us.astraweb.com Ports 443 or 563 (US)

    Maximum Connections: 50 connections

    --

    I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^; ;
    so... what are your other 2 wishes?

    Bucky Breeder, Feb 22, 2010
  8. Emrys Davies

    Emrys Davies Guest

    Thanks for going to all that trouble, but I think I will stick with
    new.individual.net at the moment as it does all what I need and I like it.

    Emrys Davies, Feb 22, 2010
  9. OK then; but, it's like Benjamin Franklin said
    which got his face posted on the US $100 bill :

    "A euro saved is a euro not circulating on the
    precariously under-regulated world trade economies."

    Bucky Breeder, Feb 22, 2010
  10. Emrys Davies

    Dan C Guest

    Dan C, Feb 23, 2010