    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], May 17, 2006

  2. Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

    Rick Guest

    Patience, Andre, patience. The hardware always comes before the
    software. And, as more 64-bit enable CPUs are sold with the OS's to
    support them, there will be a more rapid move to 64-bit. Look back at
    the moves from 8086 to 80286 to 80386 to 80486. They weren't supported
    overnight as soon as they hit the market - it took a few years for
    software to be written for, and people to migrate to, the new CPUs. And
    so it will be with 64-bit.

    Rick, May 17, 2006

  3. The Turion processor was AMD's first major effort to build a processor
    Screw dual-cores, I want my laptop batteries to last an entire flight. You
    want performance, get a freakin' desktop. It's not like having a dual-core
    laptop means I'm gonna be able to do my work in half the time, thus
    diminishing the need for the battery to last longer.

    At least that's how *I* feel.

    Homer J. Simpson, May 17, 2006
  4. Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

    Rick Guest

    Take shorter flights and the batteries will be adequate!

    Rick, May 17, 2006
  5. Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

    Barb Bowman Guest

    By sheer luck I ran into an AMD person that I know pretty well last
    week in Redmond. I'm hoping to get my hands on a prototype <G> that he
    said would put the Ferrari in 2nd place. I had Paul Donnelly tell
    Charlie so that Charlie wouldn't run me over in a fot of jealousy.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman, May 17, 2006
  6. Good battery life is nice, good performance is critical. To each his own.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 17, 2006
  7. Yup. And who amongst us scored a new dual core Turion evaluation unit
    already? Yup, Barb - the queen of freebies! I guess she figured two Ferraris
    weren't enough...

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 17, 2006
  8. I know, I know, it makes sense too, XP Tablet PC is still 32 bit so might as
    well wait until Vista arrives. :) But I was at least hoping to see some
    trial runs in terms of hardware on the market before Vista 64-bit became
    available. :)

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], May 17, 2006
  9. Homer brings up a very interesting point :) As you know all processors use
    throttling and speed management to conserve power and reduce heat output.

    However assuming OS housekeeping tasks can be split over two cores while
    using your laptop, and power and heat dissipation being exponential in
    nature, it could imply that two cores in low speed mode might consume
    proportionally less power that one attempting to perform the same 'work' in
    the same time...

    Long story short - you might get more battery for your buck with a DC's over
    SC... now there's something we should test!

    Simon.
    Simon Meacham, MCP MBCS
    64 bit blog @ http://lxivdigiti.wordpress.com
    For email: Remove ".nospam" from end of address.

    Simon Meacham, May 17, 2006
  10. Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Barb Bowman, May 17, 2006
  11. Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

    Larry Hodges Guest

    Which is why I haven't bought a laptop yet. To get one with even
    "acceptable" performance is a lot of money.

    But I did just buy another 15k RPM U320 harddrive to put on my Adaptec 64bit
    dual channel SCSI controller! :)

    Larry Hodges, May 17, 2006
  12. 'That remark', is hereby archived and eternalised!

    Tony. . .

    :0-

    Tony Sperling, May 17, 2006
  13. Indeed you do. Don't mind me - pure jealousy here. :)

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 17, 2006
  14. Who wouldn't be, two Ferrari's! :)

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], May 17, 2006
  15. Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

    Guest Guest

    Guest, May 17, 2006
  16. Wow, this is a nice write up, thanks Carlos. :)

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], May 17, 2006
  17. I was hoping to be able to just rip the SC Turion out of my Ferrari and
    replace it with a DC one.

    But since they've changed the bloomin' CPU socket (AGAIN, dammit), I
    can't. Boo Hiss.

    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], May 18, 2006
  18. Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

    roman modic Guest

    Hello!

    Regards, Roman

    roman modic, May 18, 2006
  19. With 2 GB of RAM. Life's tough when you're the Queen of Freebies. <G>

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 18, 2006
  20. Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Barb Bowman, May 18, 2006