neworking 2 pcs to nework up with 1 internet connection

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by barry crowley, Feb 22, 2004.

  1. dose anyone know how to set up a networking switch hub and get the internet
    shared on both computers

    barry crowley, Feb 22, 2004

  2. barry crowley

    Willard Guest

    I use a Netgear DS104 10/100mbps Dual Speed Hub ($12 ebay) to work with
    my DSL (or cable) Modem.. Set up is automatic..

    Willard

    Willard, Feb 22, 2004

  3. barry crowley

    Fernando Guest

    Assuming you are trying to share a broadband connection (cable. DSL), the
    easiest way is to get a broadband router/switch.
    Connections are pretty straight forward. Cable/DSL modem connects to the WAN
    port on the router. Computers connect to the LAN ports (usually at least 4
    LAN ports on your "average" router"). Most routers are set up to
    automatically get their settings from your ISP on the WAN side and are set
    up to be DHCP servers on the LAN side so that your computers can get their
    settings from the router. 9 out of 10 times, if you follow the "quick setup"
    instructions on the router, you should be good to go.
    HTH
    -Fernando

    Fernando, Feb 22, 2004
  4. barry crowley

    Dan Shea Guest

    Yes. But, as per the previous time you asked this question, you'd
    STILL be better off with a router than a hub.

    Cheers,
    dan

    "Objection, Your Honour. Already asked and answered."

    Dan Shea, Feb 23, 2004