    fred Guest

    Can someone give me some names, addresses of free news servers. My IP
    server deletes posts after 2 days. TIA

    fred, Feb 15, 2005

  2. fred

    Pennywise Guest

    |> Can someone give me some names, addresses of free news servers. My IP
    |> server deletes posts after 2 days. TIA

    individual.net for non binary newsgroups.

    Pennywise, Feb 15, 2005

  3. fred

    fred Guest

    thanks, what about binary, know of any?

    fred, Feb 15, 2005
  4. fred

    Pennywise Guest

    |> > individual.net for non binary newsgroups.
    |> >

    |> thanks, what about binary, know of any?

    Found this http://www.teranews.com/ through google.

    * Due to the overwhelming response to our free account offer and the
    costs associated with verifying credit card information we have begun
    charging a one time setup fee of $3.95. Their are no recurring monthly
    fees with our 50MB/day package.

    Pennywise, Feb 15, 2005
  5. fred

    fred Guest

    wrote in
    ya I found that to. Thanks just the same.

    fred, Feb 15, 2005
  6. fred

    Vanguard Guest

    Use newzbot.com to find an NNTP server handling the group you want.

    Vanguard, Feb 15, 2005

  7. Just for interest's sake, I use corenews on a 3-month manually renewable (no
    rebilling) option, costs about a tenner for 3 months (less per month if you
    sign up for 12 months) for 1 gig per day & I've had no problems yet. Don't
    think I'll be using it too much when NTL start capping at 40gb per month
    though.

    mentalguy2004, Feb 15, 2005
  8. fred

    Mike Easter Guest

    Very good. Tnx. However, free.teranews is 3 d retention.

    http://www.teranews.com/serverlist.html
    Our free users ($3.95 setup fee accounts) have access to:
    free.teranews.com (port 119, 3 days retention)
    This server supports a single connection with a hard limit of 3.

    The account comparison page doesn't say what is the retention for the
    premium services.

    Mike Easter, Feb 15, 2005
  9. fred

    Zak Guest

    Biggulp but it can be hard to get connected.

    Zak, Feb 15, 2005
  10. fred

    Mike Easter Guest

    Hot off the press. Individual no longer free after April 1. Cost 10
    euros/y.

    http://news.individual.net/commercial.php News.Individual.NET not free
    of charge anymore
    This is a copy of the announcement we made on 2005-02-15 in
    alt.free.newsservers

    From: (NetNews Team Individual.NET)
    Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers,alt.usenet.news-server-comparison
    Subject: [Individual] News.Individual.NET not free of charge anymore
    Date: 15 Feb 2005 15:00:00 GMT

    Mike Easter, Feb 15, 2005
  11. fred

    Pennywise Guest

    |> wrote:
    |> > fred

    |> > individual.net for non binary newsgroups.
    |>
    |> Hot off the press. Individual no longer free after April 1. Cost 10
    |> euros/y.

    Oh, shoot! "Registration by e-mail (as hitherto) is no longer possible."

    That means I go back to Qwest.net, I'm going to miss the immediate
    retrieval of messages.

    I don't pay for internet services other than the obvious, this could be
    the one exception.

    Pennywise, Feb 15, 2005
  12. So you register through their site. Doesn't seem unreasonable.

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 15, 2005
  13. fred

    Vanguard Guest

    With individual.net, you get:
    - Have to pay 10 Euros (~$13.28 USD).
    - 100 posts maximum per day quota, unless they changed this for paid
    accounts.
    - No binary groups (no skin off my nose, though), unless they changed
    this for paid accounts.
    - Never did find out what was the old (and is the new) daily bandwidth
    quota.

    Teranews for a $3.95 one-time signup fee with 50MB/day might be a better
    choice unless Individual's bandwidth is much higher (and includes
    binaries which would require the really high bandwidth quota). That's
    assuming another freebie NNTP server doesn't meet your needs.

    Guess I'll be going back to my ISP-contracted Giganew account since I
    don't pay for that (well, actually part of my ISP charge covers that
    service - until my ISP decides not to even provide for a contract
    Giganews account).

    Vanguard, Feb 16, 2005
  14. fred

    fred Guest

    10 EUROS!!!!!!!? Thats like a billion in my country. lol
    I was shown a web site once that had links to get messages from way
    back. Perfect for what I want to do. Can't find it now. A while ago
    a bunch of ppl post some rosetta stone languages but my server had
    "moved on" before i could get them all. In fact i only got 2, viet
    vol.1 and spanish vol.2. There was about 10 languages when i started.
    Now nobody is posting. It's like someone tossing you the keys to a
    porsche and let you reve the motor then never see them again. "Just
    wanna take it for a short spin, honest" But thanks just the same for
    the info. I appreciate it. Fred

    fred, Feb 16, 2005
  15. fred

    Pennywise Guest

    Pennywise, Feb 16, 2005
  16. fred

    fred Guest

    nope but thanks just the same. Interesting stuff

    fred, Feb 16, 2005
  17. Are you thinking of the old deja-news archive?

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 16, 2005
  18. fred

    fred Guest

    it wasn't to long ago, I can't remember the name. It was weird, not usual
    words like news.com. I copied and pasted it. Never wrote it down, silly
    me. It had posts from like a month back.

    fred, Feb 17, 2005
  19. A month is "way back"? You need a new server. :)

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 18, 2005
  20. fred

    fred Guest

    thank you, everyone else thinks 3 days is a long ways back

    fred, Feb 18, 2005