    process- can this be done with WinXP home?

    Thanks for any assistance.
    Frank

    Frank, Feb 26, 2004

  2. Frank

    Falcon Freak Guest

    Newbie? Whatever happened to the word 'novice'?

    FF

    Falcon Freak, Feb 26, 2004

  3. Frank wrote:

    :: 1. I just purchased a new Compaq PC that comes loaded with a lot of
    :: large MB files such as MSN Explorer, Yahoo Best of Web, American
    :: Online, etc that are not listed in the Add/Remove utility. Does
    :: anyone know a way to delete this monsters?

    I seem to remember just deleting the directories..
    ::
    :: 2. Can the growing list of files in C:\Temp and C:Windows\Temp be
    :: safely deleted - when I attempt to delete some of them I get a popup
    :: that tells these are programs and questions whether they should be
    :: deleted.

    As you have just purchased it, there shouldn't be that much there. The basic
    problem is that, if you or some-one has installed some proggie or another to
    RUN from a temp directory, then deleting the contents of that temp directory
    will stop that/those proggies working. The odds are that they were only put
    into the temp directory as part of the process of installing them elsewhere.
    All that you can really do is to see if each of the exe files you mention
    also exist in other directories, i.e. have been installed elsewhere and the
    original ones in the temp directory are now redundant.
    ::
    :: 3. On my old PC with Win 98se I found a small utility that provided a
    :: quick shutdown icon on the desktop thus avoiding the normal shutdown
    :: process- can this be done with WinXP home?

    I love the hibernate option which is fast to shut down and fast to start.
    Just hit the "h" key during shutdown, rather than chose standby, shutdown,
    restart.

    ::
    :: Thanks for any assistance.
    :: Frank

    eric the seal, Feb 26, 2004
  4. Frank

    L Beck Guest

    Don't forget to remove the desktop icons, too.

    L Beck, Feb 26, 2004
  5. Frank

    br1ght Guest

    If you want an icon to shut er down try...

    http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptstopper.asp
    --
    br1ght
    _____________________________

    br1ght, Feb 26, 2004
  6. MSN Explorer - Add/Remove Programs, click on Add/Remove Windows
    Components and untick MSN Explorer

    Don't know about the others
    Yes - they can be deleted. Just click yes if they are program files.
    Under normal circumstance, the usable copies of programs should never
    be there. Only no longer needed ones to do installations.

    Use HD Valet (free) from:-

    It deletes all sorts of useless things (unless they are currently in
    use). But if you want to keep the internet cache so that you can view
    web pages off line then untick "Internet Temporary Cache".

    Pauline Johnson, Feb 26, 2004
  7. Frank

    Frank Guest

    Thanks to all responders - btw perhaps I am incorrect but my
    definition of a newbie is someone completely totally new to a subject
    or activity, whereas a novice has been exposed and is currently
    working with the subject or activity in the learning mode.

    Frank, Feb 27, 2004