    DVD into avi - divx format. There is so many software available and some
    just don't do a very good job.

    Many thanks for your suggestions.

    Laura25, Jul 11, 2006

  2. Laura25

    Bob Guest

    Auto Gordian Knot. It is widely acclaimed to be the best 1-click
    converter, which is what the newbie needs.

    However the author recommends XviD instead of DivX. I second that
    recommendation.

    Bob, Jul 11, 2006

  3. Laura25

    dearhunter Guest

    Something you may want to consider, you can install VLC player and
    veiw/watch vob files just like watch an avi with windows media player. Just
    a thought!

    dearhunter, Jul 11, 2006
  4. Laura25

    Laura25 Guest

    Thanks Bob for the information !

    The software does a good job. However it take a long time to convert a full
    movie (6 to 8 hours) is that normal ?

    Thanks

    Laura25, Jul 12, 2006
  5. Laura25

    Bob Guest

    Long conversion times are normal.

    You can always opt for the 1-pass conversion. Unless there is a great
    deal of high-speed action, you do not need 2 passes.

    You do that by your choice of "Select Output Size". The first two
    force 2 passes whereas the third only results in 1 pass. This is
    mentioned in what passes for documentation. I have found that a
    "Target Quality (in percentage)" of around 35% results in acceptable
    resolution.

    You can check the resolution of the output file with GSpot. If the
    frame size is 720x480 and the bitrate is around 1,000 kb/s you will
    get decent play on small TVs. The file size for 42 minutes of content
    should be around 350 MB.

    But you need to experiment to find your values.

    Bob, Jul 12, 2006