    to the internet, that has an IP address, can be hacked by a determined,
    "professional" hacker. Comments please ? TIA.
    Steve

    Steve H., Nov 11, 2003

  2. Steve H.

    Jim Watt Guest

    To be connected to the Internet your system needs an IP address,
    in the same way without a postal address you won't get letters.

    Unless you leave your network wide open, hacking it is very difficult
    and I doubt anyone with the skill to penetrate it would be bothered.

    Your friend is alarming you needlessly. If you are connected with
    a properly configured router there should be no problem.

    Jim Watt, Nov 11, 2003

  3. Steve H.

    jayjwa Guest

    Yup.

    --
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=Atr2-WBS @ Atr2.Ath.Cx=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    [jayjwa] Mod_SSL / GPG / OpenSSL

    jayjwa, Nov 11, 2003
  4. Steve H.

    Leythos Guest

    While your friend is technically correct, it's not correct in all cases.
    With a properly configured firewall device you can keep hackers out as
    long and you fully understand the security implications of user
    authentication (meaning as long as you don't let your users create lame
    passwords).

    The last company I setup has more than 400 sites and not one has ever
    been hacked.

    Leythos, Nov 11, 2003
  5. Steve H.

    Volker Birk Guest

    Sorry, how should that work? BTW:

    http://www.jargon.8hz.com/jargon_23.html#TAG833
    http://www.jargon.8hz.com/jargon_18.html#TAG365
    Or you don't know it.

    VB.

    Volker Birk, Nov 11, 2003
  6. Steve H.

    Bill Unruh Guest

    ]Hi all,
    ] My apologies upfront for an ignorant, perhaps dumb question:
    ]My PC repair biz friend tells me that ANY "personal" network connected
    ]to the internet, that has an IP address, can be hacked by a determined,
    ]"professional" hacker. Comments please ? TIA.

    a) Professional (ie people paid to do that job) hackers do not exist.
    Let us say rather determined and knowledgeable.
    b) The answer is maybe, and depends critically on how much effort you
    put into keeping your system up to date and presenti9ng the minimal
    profile needed to accomplish your own goals.
    Thus, if you have no services listening in on the internet it becomes
    very hard for the attacker to break in. They have to persuade you to do
    something stupid.

    Bill Unruh, Nov 11, 2003
  7. Steve H.

    Volker Birk Guest

    Oh yes, we call them "Software developers". But also professional
    Crackers do exist, i.e. for information warfare.
    Then it's easier, but it is enouph when the manufacturors of the
    software on a machine do something stupid.

    VB.

    Volker Birk, Nov 11, 2003
  8. http://www.gfi.com/languard/
    spots any "holes " on your ip address,,,
    however it also serves another purpose ...
    its often nice to see what 'hackers' use to compromise systems ,,that way
    you can counter act ...
    play around with it ...although id advise only using your ip address.
    <lightning_b0lt>

    lightning_b0lt, Nov 11, 2003