Newbie to Asterisk some basic questions

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by cpptutor2000, May 29, 2008.

  1. cpptutor2000

    cpptutor2000 Guest

    I am a newbie to Asterisk, and seek the help of a VOIP/Asterisk guru
    to help me with the following problem - I would like to use it to set
    up the following system.

    1. 2.
    3. 4.
    Analog phone -> ATA (e.g., LinkSys PAP2) -> Asterisk->soft and PSTN
    phones.

    First of all, is the above general scheme correct ?

    Once the voice data has come into the Asterisk server, how do I now
    send out to the soft and PSTN phones, specifically, instead of using a
    VOIP provider to be able to connect to the soft phones after the
    Asterisk, what if I use a software VOIP server as Brekeke ? Also, what
    intermediate devices do I need to send the output from the Asterisk to
    the PSTN phone?

    Also, suppose at stage 1., I replace the phone with a voice modem, is
    there any additional thing that I need to do, before feeding the
    output to the ATA ?

    Any hints/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
    for your help.

    cpptutor2000, May 29, 2008