Newbie to 64bit installation on AMD Athlon64 x2 dual core 5400+ 2.8 Ghz

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by JPTHSD, Aug 7, 2007.

  1. JPTHSD

    JPTHSD Guest

    Hi there,
    I am newbie for 64bit OS installation...so little retarded anyone can call
    :)!
    I have new system Asus M2A-VM HDMI motherboard with Ahtlon64 x2 dual core
    5400+ 2.8Ghz with 4GB RAM, 500GB Seagate SATAII

    1. Windows 2003 ent server 32bit installation OK

    2. PROBLEM with Windows 2003 Ent server 64BIT or any 64bit OS installation:
    I have a CD with Windows 2003 64bit Ent server edition (I created the image
    from original W2K3 64 Ent Server CD and burned the image to CD-R)
    I inserted the W2K3 64bit to the CD/DVD Rom drive to boot, the CD/DVD Rom
    flashes several times to read the media CD and then there is a blinking
    cursor with black background...!

    Do I miss anything or I have to use the original W2K3 64 Ent installation CD
    to boot? (I suspect that the image was created under 32 bit OS and burned to
    CD-R under 32bit might not be created correct!)

    Please advise!

    Thanks,
    JPTHSD

    JPTHSD, Aug 7, 2007

  2. JPTHSD

    Guest Guest

    Hi:
    Maybe the problem is due to how you burnt the image to the disc.
    Many people jusc burn the ISO file to the disc and there's the mistake.
    You have to click, using Nero Burning ROM menues, "Recorder", "Burn Image".
    That way you get the image back to disc and not the file that contains the
    image.
    One freeware program you can use is ISO recorder.
    http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm
    Carlos

    Guest, Aug 7, 2007

  3. JPTHSD

    Theo Guest

    Did you burn a .ISO file you had to CD or did you try to
    create an installation CD?

    Theo, Aug 7, 2007
  4. JPTHSD

    JPTHSD Guest

    Hi guys,
    I actually created the Nero image file of that 64bit W2K3 server from my
    workstation.
    Such I inserted the W2K3 64bit into my CD/DVD-RW, and then created the image
    NRG for this CD.
    I don't have yet here the original CD of W2K3 64bit, I will get it to
    tested.

    Using the nero, the only way to create an ISO file is to --> MORE--> Save
    Track --> ISO file
    what I did was created an image under NRG file by my workstation (windows xp
    32 bit), so I thought the
    image nrg maybe have something wrong as you guy said :(...Hmm I downloaded
    the vista enterprise 64bit from MSFT eopen.microsoft.com
    let see if I can run the setup from MSFT image.

    Any more idea why the 64bit image might cause the CD not to boot while
    burned the image to the CD?

    Thanks,
    JPTHSD

    JPTHSD, Aug 7, 2007
  5. JPTHSD

    John Barnes Guest

    You might consider whether you have a bad download or a bad burn (do your
    burn at a slower speed). I assume you didn't get the message to hit any key
    during POST, which means you don't have a bootable CD for some reason.
    32-bit or 64-bit operating system makes no difference.

    John Barnes, Aug 7, 2007
  6. JPTHSD

    Theo Guest

    Theo, Aug 7, 2007
  7. JPTHSD

    JPTH Guest

    Hi guys,
    Sorry, it was my bad, I checked the original W2K3 64bit CD I found it in my
    company, it is W2K3 Enterprise 64bit edition (Itanimum Based System).

    So it is clear this version can not be booted up in AMD 64 base system.
    I assumed the image I got was W2K3 Ent 64 R2 which works on both AMD 64 &
    Intel 64 based system.
    Sorry for the confusion.

    Another info to be clarified that the W2K3 Ent 64 R2 or W2K3 Std 64 (there
    is no label saying Intel or AMD64) will work on both Intel 64 and/or AMD 64
    based system? Anyone's done it?

    Thanks for all your sharing knowledge!
    JPTHSD

    JPTH, Aug 7, 2007