    Photoshop CS2. Thanks in advance for suggestions. I'd also like to hear
    any negative comments you have about your suggestions. I'm concerned that
    all the printer review sites are biased towards the manufacturers.

    Guest, Aug 14, 2005

  2. Why a dye-sub. The prices of the cards are horrendous, somewhere very close to
    $1.40 each. My dye-sub is just sitting on the bench doing nothing as I have
    recently bought a Canon IP5000. It takes very little effort to use an A4 Epson
    paper and make 4 x 6x4 photos at a cost of $ 1.00 for the four pictures.
    Naturally you will need to get hold of a guillotine to cut the photos, after
    printing.
    There is some talk of dye-sub outlasting bubble jet printing but then, are your
    photos so good that you need a 100+ years span of life? If so why print 6x4 .
    Good pictures should be printed on A4 at least.

    B.Pedersen Latitude -31,48.21 Longitude115,47.40 Time=GMT+8.00
    If you are curious look here http://www.mapquest.com/maps/latlong.adp

    nesredep egrob, Aug 15, 2005

  3. Guest

    ASAAR Guest

    Is there any reason why it has to be a dye-sub printer? Epson's
    4"x6" printer produces high quality, durable prints (water resistant
    and tested to have much greater longevity than other personal
    printers, much longer than commerically printed photos too). It
    also seems to be the cheapest per print (26 cents/per vs. 40 to more
    than 50 cents/per using other printers).

    ASAAR, Aug 15, 2005
  4. Guest

    SteveJ Guest

    Sure the HiTi printers are one of the best and cost runs about 0.40 per
    print, cheaper than Kodacks, Hp, or Sony Dy subs. Epson prints suck.

    SteveJ, Aug 15, 2005
  5. John McWilliams, Aug 15, 2005
  6. Guest

    ASAAR Guest

    As do ill stated opinions such as yours. HiTi has a good
    reputation, but isn't the best match for what the OP asked for
    ("quality, durability, and economy"). The HiTi picture quality may
    be marginally better, but the Epson's print quality is very good,
    and they last longer than all of its competitor's prints. Much
    longer than most. HiTi's cost per print is merely decent, at a bit
    more than 50% higher than Epson's cost. Based on the higher cost of
    supplies, and the generally higher cost of the HiTi printers, one
    wouldn't choose them on the basis of economy.

    ASAAR, Aug 15, 2005
  7. nesredep egrob, Aug 15, 2005
  8. What a beautiful city you live in!!!!

    I was there a few years ago when you guys took the America's cup away
    from us!

    Scott in Florida, Aug 15, 2005
  9. Yes, way OT. Not understanding your question, tho, unless it was how to
    put in a very long link from Mapquest.... (just use < to enclose it>.

    It'd be a lot handier if your sig line had the coordinates in
    copy-pastable format for the Mapquest link. I am not sure what format
    Google wants when entering coordinates- I think it can be done.

    John McWilliams, Aug 15, 2005
  10. Guest

    Oscar Guest

    wrote:
    (Snipped original post).

    Geez, you ask for comments on a dye sub printer and you get a bunch of
    garbage replies...none of them related to your quest.

    I, too, have the D70 as well as Nikon film cameras.

    If you want a dye sub printer...go ahead and buy one. Olympus, Canon,
    and HiTech make excellent ones. I have both as well as a Canon i9900 ink
    jet printer. I have been satisfied with prints from all three. HiTech
    had so many models, and I was unsure of the company's reputation, that I
    did not bother with them.

    Canon - makes two (?3) models. I don't know if the Selph is dye sub or
    ink jet. The 300 is portable if you buy the battery. My subjects are
    flowers and landscapes. The dye sub colors are not as vivid as the Canon
    ink jet.

    Olympus - makes the 440 monster and the smaller one that prints 5X7. I
    have the earlier model, 400. The 440 is quite heavy and makes a lot of
    noise. I can't tell you much about the 5X7 printer but I'm sure the
    quality is about the same. Again the colors are not as vivid as the
    Canon i9900 but maybe I just need some color management.

    The Canon printers can also print 6X8 for small panoramas, but you have
    to buy the holder as well as the 6X8 paper.

    I had an Epson 825 ink jet printer that was S-L-O-O-W. Though I hear
    that the latest models are faster. I do crave the new 2400 which is $$$.

    What I didn't like about the Epson 4X6 paper is all the perforated paper
    you had to remove after the print was made. Since the perforated paper
    was not even sized you had to remember which side had to go in first.
    Not overwhelming mentally just a PIA.

    I have printed 4X6 and 8X10 with all three printers and have been happy
    with the images. As someone pointed out, per picture the cost is less
    with an ink jet printer. If you want to make anything larger than 8X10
    you will need to buy an ink jet.

    The dys sub prints have a coating to protect against fingerprints and
    spills. This might matter if many people are going to be handling your
    prints, children, relatives, friends, etc.

    All modern printers handle PictBridge if you want to print directly from
    the camera. Though I'm not sure if the Olympus has that capability. Go
    to their website for further info.

    Bottom line, try out all the printers...if you decide on dye sub you
    will not be disappointed with either brand.

    Oscar

    Oscar, Aug 15, 2005
  11. Guest

    Oscar Guest

    I forgot to mention in my previous epistle that I initially bought the
    Sony dye sub printer. It really SUCKED!!!!! I could never get a decent
    picture, the colors were always off, sometimes the computer wouldn't
    recognize it. It is gathering dust in my garage; it was a real piece of
    junk.

    Oscar, Aug 15, 2005
  12. Guest

    ASAAR Guest

    This is almost hilarious, as your points wandered farther off from
    what the OP asked for than anyone else. Would you like an extensive
    listing of them, or are you capable of figuring them out for
    yourself? :)

    ASAAR, Aug 16, 2005
  13. Yes it is nice here and up to 47 degrees on one February day. But our damned
    winter still takes us down to 15 centigrades during the day and 2-3 at night.
    Wish I had not given all my jumpers away as we left UK behind. Still I would
    like to visit Florida again and see if I could get one of the armadillos in the
    camera - however I want a live one. Judgin from the roads, there must be
    millions of them - here we kill kangaroos - makes a bit more of an impact on the
    car and passengers so we try to avoid them.

    However there are so many things one wants to do when age threatens lifestyles.
    Kenya and Tanzania was our hunting (camera) grounds from the UK. Lots of pics
    could be had there with the new equipment.

    Some 38 years ago I was standing within 6 foot of an Alligator in the
    Everglades. They seem to be as tame as our fresh water crocs. I still have the
    slide somewhere but unfortunately the colours are not what they used to be.

    Borge, Perth
    Pentium P4 3.0 Ghz, 1 Gb memory, 600 GB disk space
    Olympus E300, Pentax Optio S, Canon S1 IS.

    nesredep egrob, Aug 16, 2005
  14. Guest

    Oscar Guest

    And what have you contributed to his topic besides trolling? How
    convenient that in your reply you omitted my comments on the Canon and
    Olympus printers. Cheers!

    Oscar, Aug 16, 2005
  15. What are HiTi printers? Never heard of them.

    Paul Schilter, Aug 16, 2005
  16. Did a Google search and found their site. I'll have to read up on them.

    Paul Schilter, Aug 16, 2005
  17. Try this question over in comp.periphs.printers

    "It is a good thing to read books, and need not be a
    bad thing to write them, but in any case, it is a
    pious thing to collect them."

    Fredrick Locker-Lampson
    (1821-1895)

    John A. Stovall, Aug 16, 2005
  18. Armadillos in Florida? Sure you weren't in Texas? Well the alligator was
    in Florida.

    Paul Schilter, Aug 16, 2005
  19. Guest

    ASAAR Guest

    Ah yes, the best defense is a good offense. But if you knew what
    a troll was you'd have called another play.

    I guess my assumption that you'd be capable of figuring out how
    your points wandered off from what the OP was looking for was wrong.
    So I'll list a few. First, starting your initial reply with:
    which sure looks like the hallmark of a troll. The OP asked for
    a dye-sub printer, and I didn't say that he shouldn't get one, but
    wanted him to be aware that some of the 4"x6" ink-jet printers don't
    have the limitations that some of their larger counterparts are
    known for - smudging when wet, short lifespan, etc. So this may NOT
    conflict with what he/she is looking for. You, on the other hand
    have no qualms about discussing printers that don't fit the OP's
    needs. He asked for (among other things) a 4"x6" printer that was
    economical and produced high quality prints. So you talk about the
    Canon Selph, which you admit to not being sure if it's dye-sub or
    inkjet, but it really doesn't matter, since you say the quality
    (vivid colors) doesn't match that of your Canon inkjet printer.
    It's cost per print is far higher than those printed by the Epson
    PictureMate, and they don't last nearly as long.

    What else? You mention the Olympus 400 and it's replacement, the
    440. Quality is good you say, but it's a larger 5"x7" printer that
    (as you note) is a "monster" and quite heavy. You may be able to
    get it for less than the price listed in B&H's catalog ($449), but
    there goes more of the "economy" the OP was looking for. And you
    say again, that its colors aren't as vivid as those produced by your
    Canon inkjet. So far you're making my suggestion to consider a
    non-dye-sub printer a good one.

    Then you talk about Epson's slow 825 inkjet printer. Is this a
    4"x6" printer that the OP inquired about? Well, you also mention
    the Epson 2400, which is far larger, heavier and more expensive than
    what? What again? Oh yes, the little, economical 4"x6" printer
    that the OP was asking about. Funny how easy that was to forget.

    Then you complain about Epson's perforated 4"x6" paper which you
    didn't like because it was a PIA to feed properly into the printer
    and you still had to remove the perforated tabs. What you are
    evidently ignorant of is that the 4"x6" paper Epson provides in a
    kit (with ink cartridge) for their PictureMate printer has no
    perforations at all. You can even buy 4"x6" sheets of Epson paper
    in packs of 100 (without cartridges) that also has no perforations.
    You may have had an Epson 825 printer, but it is nothing like the
    Epson 4"x6" PictureMate printer, which was not designed to take
    8"x10" paper. Whether it can accept the special 4"x6" paper that
    has perforated tabs, I have no idea so I won't speculate on that.

    You then add that all of your printers could print sizes up to
    8"x10" and an inkjet printer would be needed if larger prints were
    desired. Woo hoo. Still lusting after the large 13"x44" Epson
    printers? They're all far cries from the little, economical,
    convenient 4"x6" printers the OP wanted to hear about.

    Happy trolling . . .

    ASAAR, Aug 17, 2005