Newbie Quest's re Canon i960 Printer

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Robert11, Jun 5, 2004.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hello:

    Have just bought a Canon i960.
    Wow !

    Really new at this stuff.
    Would like to ask the following three questions:

    a. The ink tanks are really small, it seems.
    Realize there are all sorts of variables involved, but how long, in
    general and very
    approximately, before one or more of the tanks need replacing ?
    (Assume 4x6 prints, and, e.g., outside type scenes.)

    b. Would like to keep the consumable cost down (if practical)
    Is there any consensus on which aftermarket inks are best for the
    Canon i960 ?
    There seem to be so many vendors out there.

    c. The same question for aftermarket photo paper ?

    Thanks,
    B.

    Robert11, Jun 5, 2004

  2. Robert11

    B. Peg Guest

    All I know so far is that Canon's Glossy Inkjet paper is the glossiest I've
    found and very much resembles a photographic print. I've tried Tetenal,
    Fuji, Kodak (yuck!), Office Depot, Epson, and Ilford so far and always go
    back to Canon as far as gloss.

    Ink wise, I haven't explored that possibility as Canon's inks are cheap
    enough to make refilling a non-issue. Just changed my first (photo-magenta)
    cart. (after 5 months ownership) and cost was $12 or so at CompUSA.

    Enjoy your new printer. It beats anything out there right now, and I see
    you can get one for $169 at CompUSA now!

    B~

    B. Peg, Jun 5, 2004

  3. Robert11

    Skip M Guest

    My, you don't print much, do you? <G> Black, photo cyan, photo magenta and
    magenta last about 2 wks or less around here! We buy black about once a
    week or more, but we print a lot of b&w and large sizes...

    Skip M, Jun 5, 2004
  4. Robert11

    Skip M Guest

    I have great results with Ilford Gallerie Smooth Gloss, Gallerie Classic
    Pearl and Epson Matte (Heavyweight) papers, Canon I've been a little
    disappointed in. I've only tried the Epson in 8 1/2x11 and 13x19 sizes,
    though.

    Skip M, Jun 5, 2004
  5. Robert11

    bmoag Guest

    This is a comparatively inexpensive printer to run compared to Epson and HP,
    particularly if you are only printing 4x6.
    Out of the box I printed about 40 8x10 color sheets before any of the ink
    tanks had to be replaced. The "photo" inks are used more heavily than the
    others.
    After market inks are simply inadequate and should be avoided except for
    special, relatively sophisticated purposes. Clearly you are not yet
    interested/concerned about color management issues. Epson glossy papers work
    as well as Canon papers with this printer using the Canon Photo Paper Plus
    Glossy setting.

    bmoag, Jun 5, 2004