Newbie Quest's On DVD Burning ?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Robert11, May 12, 2005.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hello:

    Have a Dell 4700 that came with a DVD disk drive for burning and some
    software to do the burning by Sonic called Sonic Record Now Plus

    Have never played with DVD burning before, and am a real newbie with this.

    Please excuse these really basic questions, but am very confused over this.

    a. I thought you (always) had to first format these DVD-R disks, but it
    seems like the Sonic software went right into the burning. Do they come
    pre-formatted, and that is probably what I bought for the recordable media ?
    I bought Sony DVD-R disks, but it says nothing on the 50 Pack label
    regarding if they are already formatted.

    b. I seem to remember reading that you could not view a DVD you made until
    you (I may have the terminology wrong) "finalized" it.

    Until you finalized it, you could add more items to the DVD.

    But, for the disk I made, I was never asked about finalizing it.

    And, I was immediately able to view what I put on the disk.

    Also, the software asked me if I want to put anything else on the disk (this
    is after I viewed it)

    Might someone please explain this a bit for me; would be most appreciative.

    Thanks,
    Bob

    Robert11, May 12, 2005

  2. Robert11