Newbie questions @ installing home router

Discussion in 'Network Routers' started by chicagofan, Aug 15, 2006.

  1. chicagofan

    chicagofan Guest

    I have just purchased a Gateway MX6440 laptop really as a replacement for my
    main desktop pc, which was just repaired. I had thought I could use it
    while the main pc was gone... however I didn't realize my cable modem was
    fried by lightning too. [I thought the 4 static lights were because the pc
    was out... not realizing the modem *activity* light wasn't on at all.]

    In any event, I am now ready to install the router, so I can use the laptop
    on the internet, and I'm worried about the security, and the installation
    process.

    What info do I need at hand [i.e. mac, IP addresses, etc.?] Or is it really
    as simple as the LinkSys WRT54G box says... insert the CD... and voila!?

    Where/how do I check the security settings? I don't want anyone from the
    outside to have access. At this time I don't want the 2 pc's networked, I
    just want to get the laptop online. Since my desktop will have to share the
    router, what should be done first? Switch the cable modem to my router and
    plus in my desktop... or laptop? Linksys instructions say run the CD before
    plugging in the router. So does that mean that the LinkSys software has to
    be installed on my laptop... before the router would pass a connection to my
    desktop pc?

    I'm sorry I am so dumb about these things. Honestly, it's not because I
    haven't read anything about it. I just can't figure out was comes first,
    and what works with what. :) I will appreciate any advice from some kind
    souls here.

    Barbara

    chicagofan, Aug 15, 2006

  2. chicagofan

    RBM Guest

    Do what the Linksys instructions tell you. You only have to configure it
    once, in fact you probably don't have to do much more than plug it in as the
    default settings are probably fine for what you want. In any event, follow
    the instructions: you'll plug in the modem, then the router, then connect an
    Ethernet cable to a router port, and it will work. Once you've done the
    basics for the wireless, you can set up "wep" security, which it will also
    explain in the instructions and as you feel comfortable, you can log onto
    the router and adjust things. When the router is set for DHCP, which is by
    default, it will assign up to 50 computers on the local side, IP addressed
    automatically

    RBM, Aug 15, 2006

  3. chicagofan

    chicagofan Guest

    Thanks for your advice, got everything hooked up. :)

    Unfortunately, I couldn't get past the *repeated* password requests by the
    Linksys CD *installation* process. I tried "admin" and any number of new
    passwords, which it would not accept. It was in a loop, it would scan my
    computer and come back over and over, requesting a password.

    What password is it looking for? I don't have one for my computer. Could I
    have some Windows XP processes blocked causing this? I'm not comfortable
    turning off my firewall, but should I disable my AV? Or is it because I
    have a cable modem? I've read in some places about some people on cable
    having to "clone" their mac addresses.

    Any additional advice, will be greatly appreciated. I've posted on a
    Linksys forum too, but haven't gotten any answers. I saw that I wasn't the
    only one with this problem, and they didn't get any replies either [a couple
    of months ago]. If it matters, it's a Linksys WRT54G, version 6 router.
    bj

    -----

    chicagofan, Aug 19, 2006
  4. chicagofan

    Kerry Liles Guest

    Some of the docs that come with the Linksys casually point out how to log in
    to the router. IIRC, it isn't so obvious. I *think* the user name is blank
    and the password is admin, but someone with the same model Linksys as you
    have might have to confirm that for you.

    HTH

    Kerry Liles, Aug 20, 2006
  5. chicagofan

    chicagofan Guest

    I never got to a "log in" state. It's in the *middle* of the installation
    that it asks for a password only... no user name or anything else... and no
    matter what I change the password to, it will not stop checking my
    configuration and asking for another password. I assumed the 5 character
    password already there, is "admin"... but no matter what I do, it will not
    pass this place in the installation... so the setup is never completed.

    I do appreciate your response though... thanks. :)
    bj

    chicagofan, Aug 20, 2006
  6. chicagofan

    Strike Guest

    I have to type "admin" (without quotes) in both places.

    Strike, Jan 25, 2007