    I'm also a bit worried about security. I'd like to allow only the MAC
    addresses of the pc's on my network access - I assume that's possible?

    Thanks

    David, Jan 9, 2005

  2. David

    mikeFNB Guest

    plug the STB or CM into the WAN socket of the router.
    then the PC's into the LAN router sockets.
    disable ICS (if ever used)

    POWER EVERYTHING OFF AT THE MAINS.

    power CM/STB let it settle.
    power router let it settle
    power PC's
    let them get auto IP.
    away you go.

    don't forget you will need AVG free & ZA free on EVERY machine.
    configure ZA free to allow (trusted zones) the router & the other ip's ad's

    At the moment, to get
    yes it the router's config menus

    mike

    mikeFNB, Jan 9, 2005

  3. David

    Jack Guest

    Hi

    The general connection should look like this:
    http://www.ezlan.net/~network/router.jpg

    The word security is used to describe both Internet security, and Wireless
    security

    However it is Not the same.

    Internet -Basic protection: http://www.ezlan.net/firewall.html

    Internet Infestation: http://www.ezlan.net/infestation.html

    Basic Steps in cleaning Internet "Junk" - http://www.ezlan.net/clean.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Jan 10, 2005
  4. David

    David Guest

    OK - understood.

    Currently I run AVG or Norton on all machines - do I need to disable these
    before setup starts?

    The firewall I'm using is the windows XP home (sp2) one - do I have to
    disable that first?

    Currently I share the internet, and I'm assuming that I'm using ICS. I let
    windows set up the network. Do I have to manually disable this first?

    I don't know is the router will automatically set up the internet
    connection. I did read elsewhere that the cable company sees the new kit as
    new and I need to run the setup disk again. If this happens, can I set up
    the network first and then add the internet later?

    Thanks

    David, Jan 12, 2005