Newbie question: Contax i4R, SD memory cards

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Newbie, Aug 29, 2006.

  1. Newbie

    Newbie Guest

    [Strange as it may seem, please leave the ng soc.culture.indian in;
    that'swhere I see the replies.]

    While visiting Japan sometime ago, I received a Contax i4R digital
    camera as gift. Then it sat for a while because I was a committed (read
    lazy and scared of new technology) film user. However, my SO has
    prevailed on me to dust it off and learn it as a second camera.

    Two questions:

    (1) The i4R look pretty and I am sure all Contax products are good.
    However, it is what I want as my one digital camera?

    (For reference, my film camera Ricoh GR1v. I wanted a light PS, but
    then the best value among the best ones.)

    (2) How much memory do I need? Local stores are selling 1G SD card for
    as low as $15, that one being Micro Center's house brand.

    Is there any point in buying a more expensive card which costs 2x or 3x
    as much?

    As expected the guy at MC said, "I'd be happy to sell you a brand name
    for $45 but our $15 card is just as good".

    Newbie, Aug 29, 2006

  2. I generally stick with products known to be all right, not necessarily
    high priced brand names.

    If you can't be arsed to read in the appropriate group, most can't be
    arsed to cross post to way off topic groups.

    F-U set to r.p.d.

    John McWilliams, Aug 30, 2006

  3. Newbie

    tomm42 Guest

    Looks like a status symbol camera. I would buy a 512mb or a 256mb card
    for the camera, it is only 4mp. First I waould get either a SanDisk or
    Lexar card as they are the most universally accepted by camera
    manufacturers. Since the Contax division is no longer in business,
    stick with the basics and see how the camera works.

    Tom

    tomm42, Aug 30, 2006