    entitled "HiTiColorPhotoShuttle.icc" for use in Photoshop. Do all inkjet
    AND dye-sub printers have the ability to print in the Adobe RGB color
    space??? Thanks.

    Guest, Aug 26, 2005

  2. Guest

    kz8rt3 Guest

    Google is my lover.

    http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/sRGB-AdobeRGB1998.htm
    This is what your color workflow is for. It pains me to hear people
    doing digital printing who don't know this.

    http://www.normankoren.com/color_management.html#Why

    kz8rt3, Aug 26, 2005

  3. Guest

    Roy Guest

    Hi.

    In addition to the above, why are you using the Nikon program?

    Would it not be much more sensible to use the superb RAW converter in
    Photoshop CS?

    Printers Print using a Paper / Printer Profile, they do not use Adobe RGB or
    sRGB which are device Independant Work Space Profiles. The Profile you
    mention is the Paper / Printer Profile for your printer which Ps can use. So
    download it and put it into the Windows Folder "Color". (Windows XP > System
    32 > Spool > Drivers > Color)

    Ps is much better at making the conversions from the Work Space Profile,
    using the Paper / Printer profile than a printer is. So get Ps to do the
    coversions and tell your printer to do "No Colour Management"

    Roy G

    Roy, Aug 27, 2005
  4. Guest

    GTO Guest

    I guess people use Nikon Capture because it is able to handle color spaces
    and only costs around $100. I haven't noticed any problems with it when
    printing on my Epson. Color management is a tricky business and does not
    just expect people to invest a lot of money in SW, but also a lot into the
    right HW to calibrate their system.

    I believe the best resource about this topic is given by Harard Johnson's
    book "Mastering Digital Printing". It's much better than most web sites I
    have found so far.

    Gregor

    GTO, Aug 27, 2005
  5. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I'm using the Nikon Capture Program for several reasons. First, when I open
    a raw (*.NEF) file in Nikon Capture, it looks exactly as it would have if I
    had simply taken a high-quality JPEG (Photoshop CS2 doesn't). It saves all
    the settings and opens it up that way. Therefore when I start in Nikon
    Capture, the photo always looks at least very good just by opening it up.
    When I open a shot in Photoshop CS2 (without the Nikon Capture Photoshop
    Plugin) my shot looks absolutely horrible and nearly impossible for me (a
    newbie) to get close to the original even if my monitor was perfectly
    calibrated (and it's not). Yes, I know I loose lots of control by doing
    this. Secondly, if I don't do any major editing, the JPEG made in Nikon
    Capture will look slighly better than the JPEG I could make solely in
    Photoshop. Several critiques of RAW converters (including Galbraith's and
    Hogan's) have concluded that Capture can make better final photos. That
    being said, if I do any real sharpening, scaling or cropping, or bringing
    out highligts or shaddows, I use CS2 at the end of my workflow or a CS2
    plugin.

    **************

    Guest, Aug 27, 2005
  6. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Thank you for providing me what that very informative link on color space.
    It was very helpful.

    Guest, Aug 27, 2005
  7. Guest

    Scott Chapin Guest

    I would not shoot in sRGB. On one ocassion, I had green benches appear real
    blue. Later, I discovered that the sRGB Gamut does not include some shades
    of green.

    FWIW

    Scott

    Scott Chapin, Aug 27, 2005
  8. Guest

    Bill Hilton Guest

    I have a Nikon D70 which I have been shooting in sRGB mode in
    Just to be clear on this, there is no such thing as "shooting in sRGB
    mode in RAW format." RAW files don't have a specific working space
    until they are converted. By choosing sRGB in your Nikon menu you are
    telling the camera to convert jpegs into sRGB or to set a tag on the
    RAW files so that the converters that recognize the tags will open with
    sRGB as the presumed working space (many converters ignore this tag or
    can't find it) but you can change this before you do the conversion.
    For example in Photoshop's RAW converter you have four working space
    choices, while in Capture One or RSE you have access to any working
    space profile in your Color folder.

    Bill Hilton, Aug 27, 2005
  9. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Is this true???!!! If so, that's great since I didn't lose anything by
    having my D70 set for sRGB for all my photos so far. I can simply change
    the color space in Nikon Capture or Photoshop CS2 to Adobe RGB and when I
    create a JPEG it will create an Adobe RGB JPEG just as if I had set up my
    D70 in RAW Adobe RGB mode to begin with (along with having Capture & CS2 in
    that color space also).

    Guest, Aug 27, 2005
  10. Guest

    Bill Hilton Guest

    Just to be clear on this, there is no such thing as "shooting in
    Yes, and it's also true for white balance. You can change this and the
    output 'working space' before you do the RAW conversion, the pre-set
    values are used for in-camera jpeg conversions and as default starting
    tags for the converters that can see them (some converters ignore them
    or can't find them).

    Bill Hilton, Aug 27, 2005
  11. Put that ICC file in the appropriate windows directory (usually
    \windows\system32\spool\drivers\color). Continue to shoot your images
    in AdobeRGB (you will convert profiles anyway). Then, when you are
    ready to print, convert the profile (under edit menu in CS2) to the one
    you downloaded (it should show in the list automatically). Then save as
    JPEG or print directly from photoshop.

    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Aug 30, 2005