Newbie:How Connect single NIC laptop to two LANs ?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Guest, Jun 12, 2004.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hello,

    I need to host a laptop machine on two LANs with seperate Subnets.
    The most obvious answere is to have two NIC/ Ethernet Ports, to
    conect to each netwrok respectively. But I am constrained to a single
    standard Ethernet Port.

    Therefore I think I can solve by using two (NATEnabled) Routers and a
    local hub/switch. Each Router would connect to respective LAN, and
    then I connect the Routers and Laptop together via the Switch/hub. I
    would use the NAT in each Router to set a IP presence of teh Laptop on
    both LANS's.

    I presume this would work at the IP level, and probably at name
    services level.

    However my real question is is there a Router network product that
    combines this configuration into a single unit. (i.e. Basically two
    Routers into a local network. ) I have searched, and can only find
    Multiple WAN to Switch Routers, for the home DSL/Cable market. I
    presume that there would be a generic CISCO Multiple Router product
    but it is not clear what product term I am asking for.

    I am looking for a physically small unit, and I do not need lots of
    features beyond NAT, and I am looking for a physismall unit.)

    Many Thanks for any help

    Julian

    Guest, Jun 12, 2004

  2. Guest

    JustMe Guest

    A single ethernet port can have 2 IP address, thus can belongs
    simultaneously to 2 distinct LANs

    JustMe, Jun 12, 2004

  3. Guest

    mh Guest

    Does you rlaptop have a USB port?

    If so, then get a USB-to-Ethernet adapter (Linksys, Netgear and others)

    mh, Jun 13, 2004
  4. With what OS? You can set the port to 802.1q mode on some PCs, and attach
    it to a switch in 802.1q more and you can have as many interfaces as you
    like!
    Too complex!! Thst is not really needed... what are you trying to
    accomplish?

    What kinds of switches do you use, and what OS in the laptop?

    Phillip Remaker, Jun 14, 2004
  5. Guest

    AnyBody43 Guest

    A wee question.
    How can two distinct (i.e. seperate) LANS conenct to a single
    ethernet port.

    As fas as I can see once they are connected to the same ethernet port
    they are no longer distinct.

    Your network administration group may have something to say
    about that.

    If you state your high level requirements someone may be able to help.

    As you say you can do it with a router but you will still need to
    integrate it into the networks routing plan.

    AnyBody43, Jun 14, 2004
  6. Guest

    JustMe Guest

    it depends what you call distinct. Connectinct 2 LANs to a single
    machine is also a situation where these 2 LANs are no more distinct ;-)

    JustMe, Jun 14, 2004
  7. Guest

    paul blitz Guest

    Therefore I think I can solve by using two (NATEnabled) Routers and a
    Why do you need TWO? You could (a) host the laptop on ONE of the addresses;
    (b) have a natted router to connect to the second LAN.

    But as others have noted, you could easily use a second ethernet port via a
    USB / pcmcia slot: this would be far cheaper, and a LOT simpler to set up.

    paul

    paul blitz, Jun 14, 2004
  8. Guest

    Jules Guest

    I am running Windows 2000 Pro on the Laptop

    I guess I need to read up on 802.1q, and what it can do for me. We
    were using basic Level 2 switches for our two LANS. So does your idea
    mean that I connect my Laptop to a 802.1q capable switch, from which I
    take two ports to connect to each of my two LAN switches ? A presume
    connecting both LANS to the same switch will not mess them up ?

    I am trying to connect a Laptop with only a single Ethernet LAN, to
    two physically distinct LANs, and have an IP network presence on btoh.
    I am prevented from adding additional NIC or USB/Ethernet adapter,
    which is the most obvious answer.

    Julian

    Jules, Jun 15, 2004